Is voltage important replacing halogen bulb?

Hi,

My wife has a halogen desk lamp with SBE e101956 stamped on it. That's the only indication of make or model. It takes one J type bulb, up to 100W, and states 120 volt. It also has a dim & a bright setting.

The new bulb I bought is 130 volts, type J, and it fits and works.

Questions:

- does using 130 v, rather than 120, matter?

- the new bulb states, "Use in systems that do NOT feature a voltage transformer connected directly to the main volt supply. (110/120V)." I don't understand what this means, and don't know how to determine if the lamp has such a transformer. How can I tell about the transformer? Does having a two-setting switch indicate a transformer? I measured the voltage (without a bulb) at the contacts, and it doesn't change when the switch is moved. I think it was around 109v.

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks, Dugie

Reply to
Dugie

The voltage of the bulb being a bit higher is OK, provided it does not exceed 100 watts. The dimmer is probably an electronic one that reduces duty cycle, even a simple diode will act as a lamp dimmer. I doubt there is a transformer. Those are usually 12 - 14 volt applications.

I th>Hi,

Reply to
**THE-RFI-EMI-GUY**

Thanks! As long as it's safe.