4-way dimmers??

Are there 4-way dimmer switches out there? I just want the standard switch (up/down), but with dimming capability.

I have a set of lights that are controlled by 3 switches. The switches are at the end of the circuit (power jumps through the light boxes and is returned to the lights after run through the switches). The problem I have is that the wiring for these switches is preexisting, and is covered by sheetrock, so I can't change the wiring. I want to place a dimmer switch where the 4-way switch is right now, but I can only find

3-way dimmer switches.

The wiring diagrams I have place the two 3-way switches on the ends and the 4-way switch in the middle. Is it possible to change this by doing the wiring connections differently? If so, how?

Reply to
Chris

With out going to something really expensive I have never seen a 4 way dimmer. I use a 3 way dimmer in one position and a regular switch in the other places. Still turn on and off everywhere but only change light levels in one place. Maybe change locations of the dimmer?

Reply to
SQLit

What about a small X10 "system". You could have an X10 dimmer in one location and an X10 wall controller in the "remote" locations. ...something like (search on 'X10 + dimmer'):

HXC1D-1TA is a four-button single address on/off-dim/bright wall mounted controller that could be used to transmit commands to a more standard X10 dimmer switch. Leviton x10 stuff can be rather pricey though.

Reply to
krw

Thanks guys. I'll have to look into the X10 option. SQLit, you said "With out going to something really expensive I have never seen a 4 way dimmer." Any chance you remember where you seen one? Might be willing to spend some money ... since I'm a little anal and want all my dimmers in one place :-)

Reply to
Chris

I will bet your not interested in Levitons or GE low voltage solution. It would require new wiring and a relay panel, where the dimmers are housed. The relay panels are pretty big and usually stuck into a closet/basement some where, and they are not cheap.

My take was that you wanted a device to wire into existing wiring. Not remodel the wiring for your home.

The real problem for a 4 way dimmer is there could be 4 different paths for the electricity to come in on. So control becomes a night mare.

wiring diagrams that might help you understand better.

Reply to
SQLit

Chris, I would assume that the solution mentioned would either be transformers or some type of proprietary system from a particular vendor. If this is the case I would think that X10 would be the best and cheapest way to go.

Your type of problem is one of the many reasons that X10 exists.

Reply to
Chris

If you want them all in one place, X10 is even a better solution. You can make that place almost anywhere (RF modules, Computer/Internet control, etc.). ;-)

The X10 branded stuff

is cheaper, though less functional, than the Leviton branded stuff. They are compatible though.

Reply to
krw