Convert 3-way to 1-way Switch

easy in uk,but i dont know US wiring,what are you calling a three way switch,do you mean three terminals?in uk we have one way,two way and intermediate swithes and can configure any swithing arrangment from these,i suspect your three way is actually a two way.
Hi All,
I have a wall light fixture controlled by two 3-way switches. I want to put
dimmer switches in but the 3-way dimmers are expensive, and it would cost
over $70 for two. A single-pole dimmer is less than $10. I really don't
need one of the 3-way switches, since I only turn the light on at one
location. Is there a way to disconnect and cap off the unused switch and
install a single-pole dimmer at the other location? What would I do with
the third conductor wire?
Regards,
Keybored
Reply to
Keybored
That must be one fancy dimmer switch for $35! I just checked Home Depot, and they have two under $20. With 3-way light switches, you normally replace only one with a 3-way dimmer switch and leave the other 3-way switch in place. Try to get the instructions for this switch before you buy it, they will tell you exactly what to do.
Mike
Reply to
Michael Lamond
If you want 2 switches to control 1 light you will have to use three ways. If you only turn the light on from one place and don't want the other switch, that's easy. Just remove the switch you never use, twist all three wires together with a wire nut and cap off the outlet with a blank. Then take your single pole dimmer connect the two leads. Now, you will have one extra wire here. Not knowing the wire colors in your house or which switch you are removing, you will have to just take a gamble here...a safe one. If you pick the wrong two wires, the dimmer won't function because it will have two hot/cold wires. So just grab the other wire and switch it out. If there is a red wire it would be a good guess to ignore it and just cover with a wire nut. Do me a favor and shut off the power and use a meter to verify what you are doing.....Good Luck, Ross
Reply to
Ross Mac
Maybe he has a high wattage dimmer!?!?
Reply to