Dimmer for low voltage halogen desk lamp.

I have a couple of these low voltage halogen desk lamps by the bed. My wife wants to put a dimmer on hers. These lamps have a 120-12V transformer in the base and a diode for dimming down one level. I have replaced the 50 watt bulbs with the lowest power I could find, (I think

25 w), but still not enough.

I know a standard dimmer won't work with the transformer. Is there an off the shelf dimmer that will work? If not what could be suggested as far as an inexpensive and compact autotransformer? I was thinking an isolation transformer wired in a "buck" configuration. I don't think I need a variable. Any pointers?

Thanks

Reply to
**THE-RFI-EMI-GUY**

why not?

a hi temp diffuser in front of the lens such as is used for theater lighting.

the most popular makers are

and

TimPerry

Reply to
**THE-RFI-EMI-GUY**
**THE-RFI-EMI-GUY** wrote:

I have a couple of these low voltage halogen desk lamps by the bed. My wife wants to put a dimmer on hers. These lamps have a 120-12V transformer in the base and a diode for dimming down one level. I have replaced the 50 watt bulbs with the lowest power I could find, (I think 25 w), but still not enough.

I know a standard dimmer won't work with the transformer.

why not?

Is there an off the shelf dimmer that will work? If not what could be suggested as far as an inexpensive and compact autotransformer? I was thinking an isolation transformer wired in a "buck" configuration. I don't think I need a variable. Any pointers?

Thanks

a hi temp diffuser in front of the lens such as is used for theater lighting.

the most popular makers are

and

- Joe Leikhim K4SAT "The RFI-EMI-GUY"©

Joe, I use dimmers with quartz lamps all the time. granted they are 500 to

1,000 W each (theater lighting) but i fail to see why a small desk lamp would have a problem with an off the shelf hardware store dimmer.

73's - Tim

Reply to
TimPerry

Reply to
**THE-RFI-EMI-GUY**

replace bulb with white LED's ?

Reply to
TimPerry

| I have a couple of these low voltage halogen desk lamps by the bed. My | wife wants to put a dimmer on hers. These lamps have a 120-12V | transformer in the base and a diode for dimming down one level. I have | replaced the 50 watt bulbs with the lowest power I could find, (I think | 25 w), but still not enough. | | I know a standard dimmer won't work with the transformer. Is there an | off the shelf dimmer that will work? If not what could be suggested as | far as an inexpensive and compact autotransformer? I was thinking an | isolation transformer wired in a "buck" configuration. I don't think I | need a variable. Any pointers?

Probably not what you want, but it might be fun :-)

phil-news-nospam

Reply to
**THE-RFI-EMI-GUY**

Reply to
**THE-RFI-EMI-GUY**

And it's the wrong voltage ... unless you are using 480 volt HID lamps :-)

| A little big to put by the bed! | | snipped-for-privacy@ipal.net wrote: | |>On Wed, 01 Nov 2006 03:29:52 GMT **THE-RFI-EMI-GUY** wrote: |>

|>| I have a couple of these low voltage halogen desk lamps by the bed. My |>| wife wants to put a dimmer on hers. These lamps have a 120-12V |>| transformer in the base and a diode for dimming down one level. I have |>| replaced the 50 watt bulbs with the lowest power I could find, (I think |>| 25 w), but still not enough. |>| |>| I know a standard dimmer won't work with the transformer. Is there an |>| off the shelf dimmer that will work? If not what could be suggested as |>| far as an inexpensive and compact autotransformer? I was thinking an |>| isolation transformer wired in a "buck" configuration. I don't think I |>| need a variable. Any pointers? |>

|>Probably not what you want, but it might be fun :-) |>

phil-news-nospam

Reply to
george_corinne

Most normal dimmers are not designed to work well with highly inductive loads like traditional transformers.

Electronic transformers used on many modern low voltage halogen light systems. Those are switch mode power supplies. Dimmign them varies from not dimmable, to dimmable with special dimmer to dimmable with normal dimmer.

I don't know what is "off the shelf" in USA where you live.

Autotransformer method will work with halogen lights that use normal traditional transformer.

The dimming range that you cam get with adjustable autotransformer with "electronic transformers" can vary from quite useable to not workign very well depending on the "electronic transformer" type.

Reply to
Tomi Holger Engdahl