Pole Lamp Dimmer Module

Hi,
Have a tubular type of base lamp in my study. The kind that has a base on the floor, and then a tube of an inch or so
diameter that runs vertically to a height of perhaps five feet. Then a reflector on the top with a halogen bulb that shines upwards.
This one uses a tubular halogen lamp (300 W), and has a dimmer/switch module that is slender enough to fit right inside the tube.
The dimmer/switch module needs replacement, and I can't seem to find anywhere that carries them anymore. Can't seem to find on the web, either.
Any suggestions as to where to get ?
Thanks, Bob
| Have a tubular type of base lamp in my study. | The kind that has a base on the floor, and then a tube of an inch or so | diameter that runs vertically to a height of perhaps five feet. | Then a reflector on the top with a halogen bulb that shines upwards. | | This one uses a tubular halogen lamp (300 W), and has a dimmer/switch module | that is slender enough to fit right inside the tube. | | The dimmer/switch module needs replacement, and I can't seem to find | anywhere that carries them anymore. Can't seem to find on the web, either. | | Any suggestions as to where to get ?
Given the extremely low price of these lamps, most people trash them when they die. It's not cost effective to _stock_ a replacement part since there is nearly no demand and such a low profit (a few pennies at most). Find another lamp like it that isn't usable for some other reason (mangled reflector, for example) and extract something from one of them to replace on the other. Else, just buy a new lamp and save the bulb from the old one. Last time I bought some of these lamps they were $15 each (with dimmer and 300 watt bulb). Replacement bulb was $14.
Robert11 wrote:

Just a thought, but the existing unit may be repairable. It may have a fuse that has blown, or the triac has blown (typically a lamp may blow the triac as it flashes over during failure). In either event, very common and cheap components. There are typically only a handful of standard components in a dimmer. The only esoteric thing that may be tricky to replace is the rotary resistor/switch.
--
Sue

Robert11 wrote:

I second what Sue said. I've repaired the dimmer switch assembly in those lamps by replacing the triac. As I recall it's a BTA8 that is in there.
Ed
See: http://www.lightingparts.com/millerpdf/28.pdf
USA 120 60Hz only
Not practical to buy a single unit from Miller OEM due to $40 min order.
Perhaps the illustration can be used as a description at a light bulb store or the like that also has accessories.

Bill Kaszeta Photovoltaic Resources Int'l Tempe Arizona USA snipped-for-privacy@pvri-removethis.biz
This is a multi-part message in MIME format. --------------070104090701070905010508 Content-Type: text/plain; charset=ISO-8859-1; format=flowed Content-Transfer-Encoding: 8bit
They can be purchased cheaply from the lighting department at Lowes and Home Depot. They are in bubble wrap on display with lamp accessories. No big deal.
Bill Kaszeta / Photovoltaic Resources wrote:

--
Joe Leikhim K4SAT
"The RFI-EMI-GUY"
Robert11 wrote:

--
Joe Leikhim K4SAT
"The RFI-EMI-GUY"

----------------------------- It is likely that a new dimmer would , as an individual item, cost more than a complete lamp. Go to a second hand store and look for an old unit that works or has a dimmer that works. Alternatively throw out the original unit and get something more efficient. May utilities offer rebates if you do this.

remove the X to answer