Halogen vs. Incandescent

Floor lamps seem to now come with a maximum 190-watt halogen bulb due to Underwriters Laboratory banning 300-watt ones. Some descriptions
say they have a 190-watt incandescent dimmer and a 300-watt halogen bulb. Can I use a 300-watt halogen bulb on a 190-watt incandescent or regular dimmer?
The statements are not clear as to where this info is coming from. but...
halogen is a type of incandescent.
If you have a 300W bulb try it and if the dimmer gets too hot then stop it. This may not be at full brilliance or lowest briliance. Check all levels. The dimmer units may just be derated from the original 300 watt capability until they can cheapen the design.
Floor lamps seem to now come with a maximum 190-watt halogen bulb due to Underwriters Laboratory banning 300-watt ones. Some descriptions say they have a 190-watt incandescent dimmer and a 300-watt halogen bulb. Can I use a 300-watt halogen bulb on a 190-watt incandescent or regular dimmer?
snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com wrote:

I wouldn't.
--
bud--

Thanks for the replies. If you want more information, here it is: According to Sears online, Underwriters Laboratory no longer approves halogen lamps over 190 watts for import. Indeed, trying to find a halogen floor lamp online that either has a wattage listed or with a wattage over 190 is difficult. In stores, Home Depot, Lowe's, Target, and Wal-Mart don't have any halogen floor lamps. Online, I found a halogen floor lamp at Target with a description confirmated by phone support that the dimmer is 190 watts and the supplied bulb is 300 watts.
snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com wrote:

Wouldn't be surprised. Halogen lamps run hotter than normal incandescents - part of why they are more efficient. As a result, they can cause fires.

Seems very unlikely a UL listed floor lamp would have a 190W dimmer with a 300W bulb. Phone support probably read the same information you did.
--
bud--