Banning incandescent lamps?

EISA 2007 is said to ban incandescent lamps.

I defy anyone to understand this law. See the lightbulb text here:

What, are we gonna have lightbulb police?

Apparently the left-hand thread is an exemption. Are we gonna see a boom in right-to-left-hand-thread lamp base adapters?

Don't get me started on 35 mpg cars. The US government decrees a change in the laws of physics!

Reply to
Richard J Kinch

Sure, while they are at it they probably will want to inspect my gun collection. Might have a dangerous lightbulb in the gun safes.

That link is a session link.

This should work better.

As far as your original question, I'm trying to read this but it is giving me a headache. Btw, you need ANSI and other standards to understand the bill. So how am a I a common citizen for who ignorance of law is considered no defense supposed to comply with this?

Like most enrolled bills you have to have copies of all the other referenced bills passed into law where one word in a paragraph modified by this bill can drastically change the effect of already enacted laws.

Not only do we need term limits, we need limits on the size of each congress critters staff. This wasn't written my our legislators, they are too busy raising money for their next election.

Wes

Reply to
Wes

It's no problem getting 35mpg, the problem is affording it ;)

nick hull

Reply to
JR North

Really? I have a 9 year old car that is the best performing car I've ever owned, but it gets 39 mpg on highway and 32-33 mpg in town. I can't buy one with comparable milage today from the same company. They say it is impossible. Have those laws of phyics changed since they built my car?

Reply to
Don Stauffer in Minnesota

And mine too? My 1980 Plymouth Champ easily met the future EPA rules without computers and without fuel injection. Imagine what that car could do today if it had a transplant of ordinary 2000-era technology.

Vaughn

Reply to
Vaughn Simon

Here is my take on all the expert opinion that the government looks to for justification of these environmental laws. When they talk about efficiency, they make up the parameters to fit their needs. The incandescent light is a heat generating device. It converts electricity to heat and is 100% efficient at doing it. A part of that heat is detectable by the inefficient receptors on the front of our heads. The inefficient part of the equation is not the source, but the receiver.

Our home is heated by a heat pump backed up by an electric furnace. When the weather is really cold, the electric heat unit is on quite a bit. The light bulbs in our home are also on and contribute to the heat just as much as the furnace does. Nothing is saved by turning off the light, but leaving the electric furnace running.

We use a 60 watt incandescent bulb in a well insulated outbuilding to keep the well water works from freezing. Works just fine. When extremely cold weather is expected, we change to a 100 watt bulb. Many of our neighbors do the same. You can't use a compact florescent bulb for that. I guess the light bulb police will let us use 1,000 watt heaters instead.

Out side lights are a different story. There, any heat is immediately lost, so with some exceptions, those bulbs are florescent. The exception being the motion controlled flood lights.

On a different note, the florescent lamps all generate radio noise. Many hams in the area have noted when they turn their vhf beams toward a town or city notice an increase in the noise level. The replacement of incandescent lamps will mean that level will continue to rise.

Just my $0.02 worth.

Paul, KD7HB in Central Oregon

Reply to
co_farmer

Sure. They'll make business do it, and not pay for it. Both parties like to spout pro-business rhetoric, the left likes to spout "pay as you go" while the right likes to spout "small government" -- but in the end, they always try to force businesses into being the cop first (see the immigration law in Arizona for an example).

So the _traceable_ government stays small, while the government's responsibilities get forked onto business, and you pay for it whether you like it or not.

35 mpg cars are easy -- just make them small and light. They won't survive a collision with a Hummer or a semi as well as a Ford Expedition, true. But there'll be fewer Hummers on the road, and because you always survive the collision you successfully avoid the population will get smarter over time.
Reply to
Tim Wescott

I've never had a compact florescent light last me more than two years, and they often fail within six months. Given the amount of stuff in one of those, which implies a lot of energy expenditure to manufacture, I question the notion that you'll really save anything over the life cycle of the bulb by using incandescents.

(and, compact florescent lights use mercury, and become a hazardous waste issue the instant they enter your door -- assuming free manufacture, I'll trade off the inefficiency of an incandescent light for it's safety any day).

Reply to
Tim Wescott

I'm not in favour of banning incandescent lamps. One of their greatest advantages is that whatever kind of lamp you have, you can buy a replacement and fit it easily. This isn't the case with many other light sources such as LEDs, which are promoted as being replacements for incandescent lamps. The manufacturers will tell you that the lamps aren't replaceable because they don't need to be replaced in a very long time, but this simply isn't true.

Best wishes,

Chris

Reply to
Christopher Tidy

On Sat, 22 Dec 2007 07:27:08 -0800, with neither quill nor qualm, JR North quickly quoth:

How do you feel about the engine, besides it being a VubDub and the noisiest futher mucker in the known world? Cost to maintain? Ease of maintenance?

-- Seen on a bumper sticker: ARM THE HOMELESS

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Got sucked into the whole compact flourescent whirlpool a few years ago. Local power company (Portland General Electric) was handing out coupons for free/deep discount/rebate on compact flourescents, and we were lighting up a new home. I think there are maybe 4 left in the whole house. Short life, unacceptable warm up time, just general crappy performance. Unless there has been a huge improvement in the CF technology, I'll keep my incandescents!

Reply to
BillM

I changed mine out to 4' single tube florescents.

Reply to
Gunner

i get 50 around town

60+ in the highway in a semi new VubDub

Its no worse than a honda with a fartcan exhaust

it IS as loud as a V8 gas like the ford 4 liter but still its not the end of the world to make a reasonably sized efficient vehicle that still feels and drives like a car.

Maintenance isnt terrible either, Cost is a bit higher granted but between stuff done at home and the engne block being rock solid its not a biggie

Reply to
Brent

My biggest issue with CF's is the colour temperature can vary wildly from painful blue to a fine warm yellowish red.

I'm positive that there will be exceptions for industrial use like stage lighting or as heating. even quartz halogen could be called incandescent.

there IS logic behind getting rid of some cases of them. It is stupid to use a heater as a light source. It makes sense to use a heater that gives of excess light as a heat and light source however.

As many have said a blanket ban is stupid but there are good reasons to replace them in many cases

A little sense in cutting use will help greatly

Brent Ottawa Canada

Reply to
Brent

Maybe try a different brand?. The oldest I have was about 5 years old and working fine until I dropped it, it was a slow warm-up one so got relegated to the blasting booth a couple of years ago, all the newer ones are virtually instant on. The others in the house are mostly 3 to 4 years old and seem to be going strong, not had one fail yet. When time for disposal i'll take them to the local council site that handles fluorescents for recycling. I'm not sure of the efficiency of the compact fluorescents at start-up, like normal flourescents can take a large starting current, so have only changed out those lights that will be on for longer periods, all those that are on for a short period are still incandescent.

Reply to
David Billington

nick hull wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@dialupusa.usenetserver.com:

I had a 1962 MG Midget - fancy version of the Mk. II A-H Sprite - that gave me 33 MPG City, 55 MPG Highway.

If this could be done 45 years ago then why can't it be done today?

BTW, for one car that's slated to hit the market about a year from now that'll (supposedly) get over 180 MPG, go to .

Too bad the SafetyNazis will prevent US sales.

Reply to
RAM³

From one of the VW forums, the skinny on the VW diesel engine is that it was designed as an industrial powersource, with an expected lifespan of 50 000 hours running until it would require a rebuild.

Solid stuff!

I have a '90 Jetta with a 1.6 Turbo D in it. Just rolled 400 thousand KMs on it, and had to rebuild a head off a 600 thousand KM's parts car for it, because I cracked the original, changing out the glow plugs.

It's not running great and need some new nozzles, so I am getting around 40 MPG highway. It will do better with new nozzles.

Cheers Trevor Jones

Reply to
Trevor Jones

Didn't you get the memo? That's a secret! We are not supposed to notice that until it's too late to go back. Then we will need a new government program to deal with the waste (Hg), and another to deal with the waste ($$) from that agency, and another to deal with the eventual discovery that the first one didn't do its job, etc.

I don't want to breathe CO or eat Hg any more than the next guy, but would somebody please read the tenth amendment to those clowns on the hill?

End of rant.

Bill

Reply to
Bill Schwab

My timing belt is supposed to be changed every 100 000 and it might have been missed the first time because it looks like it stretched ever so slightly as to give a fuel mileage hit that cleaned out after i replaced it.

My only issue with VW is there are a lot of oil lines in my 1.9 TDI that drip occasionally and I need a shoehorn to fit my oil filter in the the enclosure where tis supposed to be. but for the time it would take me to deal with them all and the downtime i need to sort them all out i've just been keeping a spare litre in the car and adding it at some point between oil changes

I have far and away the highest mileage vehicle out of my entire family at 278 000 km now and i've never had anything i could call an "engine" issue

I've needed to do work on the suspension a few times now and there is something unhappy int he glow plug system that a block heater has been compensating for.

Basically the only reason i have any problems with the VW is because i cant take it off the road for a week to deal with all the itty bitty issues or with the issues that are coming due (Rear struts and 4 wheels worth of brakes will be due in the spring)

At least here in canada we are a lot more Diesel friendly despite the winters.

Brent Ottawa Canada

Reply to
Brent