Banning incandescent lamps?

I have _one_ room that isn't completely lit by CF bulbs. That's the lad's bedroom with multiple 20W halogen spots in the ceiling. As they fail they will be replaced with 1.5W LED units. I have dimmable CF bulbs in two of the bedrooms. The only gotcha with them is that if the dimmer is too old, it might struggle with the low load of the CF bulb. I have a box of 48 new incandescent bulbs that I will be taking to the tip sometime next year. I'll save money by throwing them away!

I can get CF bulbs in almost any power I want, at UK prices:-( :-

Mark Rand (where electricity costs $20/kWhr) RTFM

Reply to
Mark Rand

On Thu, 27 Dec 2007 18:36:55 +0000, with neither quill nor qualm, Mark Rand quickly quoth:

Ouch! Wouldn't you rather pay just £8.14 for a 25 watter? (120 watt equivalent) That's only 'bout 20 times what we pay over here across the Pond. Ayup, "OUCH!" just about covers it.

Holy Shit, Maynard! Well, at least you have that lovely socialized medicine and all your streets are safe/free from guns. ;)

-- Once we believe in ourselves, we can risk curiosity, wonder, spontaneous delight, or any experience that reveals the human spirit. --e e cummings

Reply to
Larry Jaques

I think Mark means about 20 *cents* a kilowatt-hour. d8-)

-- Ed Huntress

Reply to
Ed Huntress

Bloody French decimal places :-(.

If you and Larry are paying $0.50 to $1 for a 25 Watter, then I'm surprised that incandescent bulbs are still being manufactured!

Mark Rand RTFM

Reply to
Mark Rand

I'll have to ask Larry about his sources. I pay around $6, on those rare occasions that I buy one.

-- Ed Huntress

Reply to
Ed Huntress

On Thu, 27 Dec 2007 23:04:07 +0000, with neither quill nor qualm, Mark Rand quickly quoth:

We're still under 7 cents here in the PNW.

I still use one over my bed. I dim it in the morning before getting up to adjust to the lights. Yes, all but one of my CFs so far have been

99 cents each. They're 23W, the 100W incandescent equivalent.

-- Once we believe in ourselves, we can risk curiosity, wonder, spontaneous delight, or any experience that reveals the human spirit. --e e cummings

Reply to
Larry Jaques

On Thu, 27 Dec 2007 18:28:10 -0500, with neither quill nor qualm, "Ed Huntress" quickly quoth:

Bi-Mart, a PNW-exclusive membership store.

But I've also seen them for that price at Grover's Plumbing and Electric, WalMart, etc.

4 for $11 + s/h here:
Lowes, 8/$8
P.S: The yellowish "Warm White" bulbs SUCK!

Wiki up the latest info and best CF compilation I've seen yet:

and the one for LED lamps:

-- Once we believe in ourselves, we can risk curiosity, wonder, spontaneous delight, or any experience that reveals the human spirit. --e e cummings

Reply to
Larry Jaques

I could see that to some extent.

I have driven some of the small diesel (under) powered trucks from the early '80's and the tech in them was as low as their top speeds.

I sold an Olds with a 350 in it, that had suffered an engine fire, to a person that was replacing an Olds diesel 350 with a gas engine.

Technology HAS moved on, though, and a large number of folk in the US have seen that there is hope, as well as throttle response, in a diesel engine.

It'll be interesting to see how things work out, with more of the "mainstrean" vehicles like the Jeep models, coming out with a diesel as an option.

Cheers Trevor Jones

Reply to
Trevor Jones

99cent Only stores occasionally sell (2) 25watt CFs for ...99cents

They actually hold up better than the Green CFs I got from Pacific Gas and Electric (aka Pacific Greed and Extortion)

Gunner

Gunner Asch

So, which ones are best for color?

Yikes. More than I would ever want to know. d8-) Thanks, it's good to know it's there.

-- Ed Huntress

Reply to
Ed Huntress

On Thu, 27 Dec 2007 22:36:06 -0500, with neither quill nor qualm, "Ed Huntress" quickly quoth:

Most bulbs with 20+ watts. The 13W bulbs just weakly bleat out yellow colors and aren't good for much of anything. I much prefer anything with a 4000K or higher rating. Bluer is good, yellower is bad. Higher CRI ratings seem to go hand in hand with higher Kelvin output.

See the pic with the 4 styles of lamps? I much prefer the lefthand one.

-- Once we believe in ourselves, we can risk curiosity, wonder, spontaneous delight, or any experience that reveals the human spirit. --e e cummings

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Fort Richardson, or Fort Wainwright?

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

I have used the 4' double tube fluorescent fixtures for almost 30 years, but a few places still need regular bulbs.

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

That's interesting, because I would have thought the ones that were close to incandescent temperature were more pleasant for reading and working. But photos like that are tricky. Having done a lot of industrial photography with weird lighting, my reaction to that photo was that it probably isn't much like what the scene looks like to the eye. Interrupted-spectrum lighting often looks different on film; I assume the same is true with digital photos.

Anyway, I'll have to get a couple of new ones and try them. I'll miss my dimmers (I made a bunch of them years ago, and I've replaced them all over the house with commercial ones, over the years) but it will be worth it.

Thanks for the tips, Larry.

-- Ed Huntress

Reply to
Ed Huntress

yet:

There is an article in today's ( Thursday ) WSJ on CFL's. One guy and his brother own 4 factories in China and make a million CFL's a day.

Dan

Reply to
dcaster

Also interesting is:

jack

Reply to
spamfree

Todays diesels are great.

2005 VW Golf TDI, 48 mpg average, enough torque to get up and go with any gasser. Cruise at 70-75 all day long.

The car can go further then I can between stops.

Howard Garner

Reply to
Howard R Garner

On Thu, 27 Dec 2007 23:54:54 -0500, with neither quill nor qualm, "Ed Huntress" quickly quoth:

For reading, I need the bulb to be a foot closer and/or a lot more lumens if it's yellow incan vs. its whiter CF brother.

I have a couple wall sconces (and some track lights) and use the CFs to bounce light off the pure white walls and books in my largest bookcase. The CFs outshine the incans by a mile and make the book titles more readable. Wimmmenfolk don't like the bluer, whiter light as well as men do, it seems. That's perfectly OK at my bachelor pad.

Look at the "light shadows" cast on the foreground in that pic for the true colors. Looking at bulbs is hard for eyes and cameras. ;)

Now that I've seen that the less expensive dimmable fluor bulbs are available, I'm going to try them, too. Ditto the LED lighting when it becomes affordable.

Jewelcome, Ed.

-- Once we believe in ourselves, we can risk curiosity, wonder, spontaneous delight, or any experience that reveals the human spirit. --e e cummings

Reply to
Larry Jaques

On Fri, 28 Dec 2007 17:55:35 +0900, with neither quill nor qualm, snipped-for-privacy@spam.heaven quickly quoth:

Good 'un! And a link off that to efficient LED sources is

(What is this "thing" for LEDs guys named Don seem to have, hmm?)

-- Once we believe in ourselves, we can risk curiosity, wonder, spontaneous delight, or any experience that reveals the human spirit. --e e cummings

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Hi Ed, I have some info, right from the packaging of the CFs that I've been using

QualSTAR Mini Sunlight

100W replacement Light output: 1707 lumens Energy used: 23W

Model No: 2823 S (and) 2VP BGL (2-pack for Big Lots Stores) Color temp: 6,500 Kelvin Lamps contain mercury

Big Lots price - $6 for a 2-pack

This is a product of a company that has produced some real crap in the past, Lights of America, but these units that were purchased in the past year are performing very well. The light is white, and very bright. I generally have all my lights for room lighting, operating in bounce mode, pointed up at the white ceiling. Many may find that these lights are too bright for direct lighting (for a reading light, for example). A side-by-side comparison to a warm CF makes the warm lamp look very yellow, like light shining thru mud (if that makes any sense).

I used to think that regular cool white and warm CFs produced good light, until I tried these sunlight CFs.

I'm not a photog, but when I've used these lamps to fill in for pictures (no flash), the inexpensive HP 215 digital camera shots don't look any different than shots with the light from the built-in flash.

WB ......... metalworking projects

Wild_Bill