Banning incandescent lamps?

[ ... ]

Quite simple -- the additional weight mandated by the safety requirements.

I remember when there was one small UK car -- I think that it was the MGB for a certain year or two -- where the requirements caused it to need three windshield wiper blades. The requirement was that a certain number of square inches of windshield *must* be cleaned by the wipers -- and the whole windshield did not have that many square inches. So -- the solution was a third windshield wiper whose coverage overlapped the other two -- but the sum of the wiped areas of the three was sufficient to get it past the requirements. :-)

With things as idiotic as this -- how can people make cars light and small enough to be energy efficient?

Enjoy, DoN.

Reply to
DoN. Nichols

' Or survivable.

Gunner

Reply to
Gunner

Because diesel is TAXED so much more than gasoline ;)

nick hull

My diesel rabbit engine is still good but the body is falling apart ;)

nick hull

Doesn't wash! Unless it is all about the fuel.

The same motors are as common or more so in places where the standards are higher.

I have seen some mention of the fuel of choice over in the US, being a particularly nasty grade of high sulphur diesel.

A poorly tuned engine is poorly tuned, whether diesel or gas.

Apparently much ado about the removal of sulphur from the fuel relates to the use of engine (and more to the point, injector pump) technology that the rest of the world left behind 20 odd years ago. Too many truckers with low tech pums on their engines, not wanting to face the cost of a new IP.

I see the odd mention now about how the low sulphur diesel "will drive the price up and make it unaffordable" , but I think it is pretty much scaremongering by folk that have run out of reasonable arguments.

Not being on the scene, I cannot profess to know the full story, but I pick up bits here and there. Could be wrong, too.:-)

Cheers Trevor Jones

Reply to
Trevor Jones

Yeah. I'm a math whiz! :-)

I'll see if I can find the cite. The math was mine. I am pretty certain on the hours.

Cheers Trevor Jones (counts on fingers-lips move while doing)

Reply to
Trevor Jones

More so, the problem is surviving a freeway-speed crash in something capable of getting it.

Reply to
Dave Hinz

Ahhhh, after reading a handful of posts like yours, I see the problem. The legislators aren't talking about a few models, they're talking about the outright average of _all_ of them. Yes, you can get 35 MPG out of a carefully engineered small car. But, you can't get it out of a pickup truck suitable for construction or farm work. So if you can get that up to 25, then the econo-car has to make up the difference. It's not just about family cars, it's about _everything_ averaging 35. As usual, it's a case of congress thinking that they can make something just magically happen just by passing a law saying so. Physics and engineering just don't work that way. So, a few years into it, an exemption will be passed, nullifying the law. In the mean time the idiot congresscritters who crow about "look about what we did!" get political mileage out of it, while accomplishing and changing nothing.

Reply to
Dave Hinz

The CAFE standards are different for passenger cars and trucks.

Trucks and vans have much lower MPG targets.

Kevin Gallimore

Reply to
axolotl

I like CF's. In my experience however you need to avoid Lights of America brand completely. All of those that I had purchased failed while all of the regular brands work really well.

Some times there is a warm up period, where the full illumination does not kick in right away but I get light on demand and the last 30% might take a few minutes but this is no big deal.

I think the only incandescent I have left is the one in the fridge.

With that said, I do not support the proposed ban on light bulbs.

Reply to
Roger Shoaf

Right. Our particulate standards, accompanied by the fact that our diesel fuel had a lot of sulfur in it until recent regulations, were the reasons more of them weren't sold here. New automotive diesels and the newer fuel standards should solve the problem.

-- Ed Huntress

Reply to
Ed Huntress

I'd take my chances in our eight-year old mid-size Mercedes diesel sedan over your US truck-based SUV any day. 35mpg highway isn't a problem, and the sedan is no lightweight. Plenty of power and no visible smoke. Now explain to me again how US manufacturers can't do it.

Reply to
Dale Scroggins

Trevor Jones asked why diesel engines haven't taken off in the U.S. and to this I say: G.M. is the culprits here. They poisoned the well by selling ill conceived designs in the 1980's (I.E.) the Olds/Chevy diesel built around the 350C.I. gas engine. I had A Chevy Caprice Wagon (1982) with one of these boat anchors in it and it was the happiest day of my life when A con rod took A detour through the engine block!! The small diesels in there Vega's and LUV pickup's were nothing to write home about either.

H.R.

Reply to
harleyron

You're missing the bigger point that this is for the _average_, not individual vehicles.

Reply to
Dave Hinz

Agreed about LOA.

They're lousy in any cold location. So porch lights and garage lights, not so good in Wisconsin.

I've bought a dozen or so each time they drop to .99 due to whatever promotion, and swap them in as the other ones die. But, yes, the color temperature isn't as consistent, and the warmup time is annoying. Allegedly, though, I'm saving money.

Reply to
Dave Hinz

I'm sorry. I thought you were saying it would be difficult to build a crashworthy, safe car that would get 35mpg, so I pointed out that some manufacturers had solved that problem ten years ago. I must have misread your previous post, and missed the part about fleet averages and all that.

Reply to
Dale Scroggins

I got sucked into one of those promotions too. I have four things that I don't like about CF's.

  1. They say that a 27W CF (I think it was 27W but don't remember for certain) gives the same amount of light as a 100W Incandescent. Bullshit! Maybe 60W. We replaced some 100W incandescents with CFs and they just didn't give as much light.
  2. My wife had one in a table lamp where she normally sits. Sometimes while she is sitting there, she listens to a portable radio. As soon as the CF lamp comes on the radio is useless because of all the static the CF generates. This has happened with two different brands.
  3. So far I have yet to find any replacements for 150W incandescents.

  1. Can't use dimmers.

Wayne

Reply to
NoOne N Particular

I've kept the porch lights on for over 20 years, it used to be a 40 watt incandescent that would last about three months. Now I use 13 watt CFs, first one lasted almost three years, second one I put in last July.

I also stock up when I can get them for a buck. I have trouble differentiating some dark colors under fluorescent, socks are best sorted in daylight. CFs also seem to get slightly dimmer before they fail.

Dunno about that, seems to, but I don't know how to factor in the cost of safe disposal of a dead CF with mercury vapor in it.

David

Reply to
David R. Birch

I'm not sure that would be a good idea. It might be better to hold congresscritters and their staffs to the standard of liability that civil engineers must meet. I've often said that any law needs to be written with the care of a computer program that will control a machine that can kill people, because a government is just such a machine. For starters, everyone in the legislative process needs an intensive course in the law of unintended consequences. Two of my favorite cases: better car locks led to the rise of violent carjacking, and the once-fashionable idea of making prison sentences for armed robbery comperable to those for murder removed the incentive for a robber to leave his victim alive.

Reply to
Stephen J. Rush

I like the Flood lights for brightness and low cost. However if you need to turn one on for a reason florescent bulbs are crap. They have to heat up and come on line before turning bright. By then, the intruder has stolen the truck or shot you dead.

In those light places I use real bulbs. In general lighting I use Florescent.

And how will these monster bulbs fit in our light fixtures ? Front porch ? Drop lamp ? Oh - trash it for a new Chinese cheap Florescent... Bathroom lights in the fan ? over the sink ? in the sitting table ? In the 12 flower art glass and bronze lamp ? Christmas Tree ?

Mart> >> I like CF's. In my experience however you need to avoid Lights of America

Reply to
Martin H. Eastburn