1950's lamps

I am looking for a source (wholesale preferred) for raw fiberglass sheets. Such as those used to make lamp shades in the 1950's. I want to make some custom shades for some metal lamps I am going to make.

Thanks, Kris

Reply to
speedbuggy

I dealt with hat stuff 13 years ago in San Francisco. Nasty stuff to work with. You have to wear full coveralls and a respirator or you will be itching for weeks.

We used big sheets of it to build giant shoji lanterns for a AIDS benefit concert.

We were told it was only allowed to be made once a year because of EPA restrictions.

I might be able to hunt down the supplier, but if the lamps are to be used indoors, rice paper is much kinder to work with.

Reply to
Ernie Leimkuhler

Try Laird plastics. If there is one near you it's worth looking at their samples in person. They probably have something suitable that isn't actually fibreglass.

Cheers,

Kelley

Reply to
Kelley Mascher

Probably the easiest way would be to make a make mold and use this to lay-up woven fiberglass fabric over. Tap plastics carries the stuff and the woven sheet is a lot neater than a chopper gun.

Or plan "B" might be to make the mold and let a fiberglass shop shoot it for you.

Reply to
Roger Shoaf

I think you need to find an auto body shop - VETS... SUV's...

YOU need to find a surf board maker.

Have you tried a glass maker ? Tons - Trucks - ship out pure white sand from here every day heading toward the central valley. I suspect a glass jar and exotic uses. It is the sand that Honolulu uses on the beaches...

Might look into the new stuff that has blunt ends not needle - you hear about the blue bats not the pink ones IIRC. Cooling in the attic stuff.

I think I'd take the blue stuff that doesn't stick you and make some or contact the company and see if sheet is available.

Mart> >

Reply to
Martin H. Eastburn