Sodium Lamps & gear

Hi all, I have a bit of a technical question regarding a 70w HPS Sodium lamp/bulb with Internal Ignitor. How far can this be placed away from the gear? I have a light fitting about 30 feet down my garden from my house what I want to do is replace the normal 60w Tungsten bulb in the light with the

70w sodium lamp but put the gear in my attic which is about 30 feet away. Can this be done successfully or does the lamp have to be near to the ballast?

If it has any bearing the Voltage is 230volt 50Hz

Thanks in advance for any ideas?

Andy.

Reply to
Andy

Remote mounting the ballast is possible, but check the literature of the specific fixture to be sure. It sounds like you want to use exiting wiring and fixture for the bulb, that will not work. Regardless of the primary voltage the secondary wiring and devices will need to be 600V insulated

An HPS igniti>Hi all, I have a bit of a technical question regarding a 70w HPS Sodium

Reply to
dummy

Thanks for that advice. No, I didn't take into account that I would have to change all the wiring to the lamp - that's going to be more of a job now. I wonder if I could replace the light 3amp cable going to the lampholder to a heavier 13amp cable (up to 3000w) would that do the job?

Reply to
Andy

Reply to
dummy

Well, in the US, most WIRES are insulated to 600 volts. The socket may not be rated for 600 volts but the WIRES likely are.

The fixture itself may have a problem with 600 volts (likely rated 240 volts) but the stuff in the walls is good for 600.

Reply to
John Gilmer

In the UK street lamps using these lamps are wired in standard 2.5mm T&E.

Reply to
Jb