Sodium Lamps & gear

Hi all, I have a bit of a technical question regarding a 70w HPS Sodium
lamp/bulb with Internal Ignitor. How far can this be placed away from the
gear? I have a light fitting about 30 feet down my garden from my house what
I want to do is replace the normal 60w Tungsten bulb in the light with the
70w sodium lamp but put the gear in my attic which is about 30 feet away.
Can this be done successfully or does the lamp have to be near to the
ballast?
If it has any bearing the Voltage is 230volt 50Hz
Thanks in advance for any ideas?
Andy.
Reply to
Andy
Remote mounting the ballast is possible, but check the literature of the specific fixture to be sure. It sounds like you want to use exiting wiring and fixture for the bulb, that will not work. Regardless of the primary voltage the secondary wiring and devices will need to be 600V insulated
An HPS ignition uses about 350-400 volts.
Reply to
dummy
Thanks for that advice. No, I didn't take into account that I would have to change all the wiring to the lamp - that's going to be more of a job now. I wonder if I could replace the light 3amp cable going to the lampholder to a heavier 13amp cable (up to 3000w) would that do the job?
Reply to
Andy
The 3 Amp lighting circuit cable may be enough if it is insulated to ~500 or 600 volts. In the USA, residential wiring is typically insulated to 300 volts and would not be suitable. Don't know about standard residential wiring in Ireland.
Reply to
dummy
Well, in the US, most WIRES are insulated to 600 volts. The socket may not be rated for 600 volts but the WIRES likely are.
The fixture itself may have a problem with 600 volts (likely rated 240 volts) but the stuff in the walls is good for 600.
Reply to
John Gilmer
In the UK street lamps using these lamps are wired in standard 2.5mm T&E.
Reply to
Jb