Fluorescent lighting question

Apparently I need to replace the ballast in one of my F96T12HO 2 lamp overhead fixture. Don't want to change the fixture, as it's very nice, sparkproof, and currently have 8 of these in my garage. They all have 95 watt bulbs in them. Went all around town, SOL, only 110 watt bulbs with the correct ends.

So I bought those and installed. They light up bright, but flicker badly. Ballast buzzes slightly, but the same as all the other good lights. Garage temp was 35 degrees F.

Have not tried installing the 110 Watt bulbs in a good fixture yet. I have been told that 110 watt was the only option for the HO until they came out with the 95 watt energy saving bulbs, which are locally unavailable to me, and that my ballast should handle the 110 watters.

Is it possible my ballast is good, and cannot handle the higher output bulbs? What kind of rating should I look for on the ballast in the fixture? I looked at it earlier, but don't remember. If I am SOL on the

95 Watt bulbs, can someone recommend an inexpensive replacement electronic ballast, and a source, as I will be changing all eight eventually, as they expire?
Reply to
Steve Walker

Steve Walker fired this volley in news:- snipped-for-privacy@giganews.com:

It's very possible that the ballast cannot hold the voltage on the higher load current. Electromagnetic ballasts are intended to 'swing' with load

-- that's how they regulate, especially when starting the arc. Essentially, they deliver (about, nearly, almost) constant power to the load, instead of constant voltage.

T12 bulbs in a lot of lengths and wattages are being phased out in favor of much more efficient T8 bulbs. In a 96" fixture, I don't know if they have those in T8s. There might be physical support issues with a 1" o.d. lamp 8' long. But in all my 48" fixtures, whenever a ballast needs replacing, I go with a T8 electronic ballast and new T8 bulbs. I get a LOT more light for considerably less consumption, and longer bulb life.

LLoyd

Reply to
Lloyd E. Sponenburgh

Sounds like the fixture isn't designed for 35 F. If you let it run a while, does the flickering subside and stop? I have such fixtures in my unheated attic, and the lamps do flicker for a while.

Joe Gwinn

Reply to
Joe Gwinn

Or the better option

Do a few changes and use these in those fixtures.

I swapped all my shop over to

It's like walking into an operating room now.

Reply to
Steve W.