how do ballasts fail?

Hi all,just this evening fitted an external light for a new customer of mine,newey and eyre own make 2d compact 16w flourescent,with built in photocell.This was at 4.45 pm,powered it up,covered the photocell(thouroughly,waited 5 minutes....... and nothing...........Did a voltage check around the p/cell/ballast etc and at lamp pins,where i had

240v.Rather red faced,i told my customer not to worrry,its only the lamp,and i'll fetch another tommorow.My question is,if a ballast fails,does it still pass the 240v through to the lamp pins,otherwise,how do you test?I need to get this thing going without getting into house to turn off juice,and as quickly as possible.(The job which took 3/4 hour should have netted £50,now i have to revisit. :-( )

poor boy. If you dont now the answere what are you charging your customers so much for;

If I hire an electrician I would expect him to know a little about what he is working on.

Reply to
bushbadee

Trouble is it would read 240 if the choke was short or ok.. As you say it was from Neweys, they are quite helpfull so I would just ask for another unit to "replace the faulty one that I'll bring back later" and try changing out the lamps, If this is no good then its easier to swap out the whole fitting for a new one and it goes down to one of thoes jobs that the manufacturer screwed you out of ya 50 quid profit..win some...lose some!

sQuick..

Reply to
Paul Miller

The photocell is easy to test....drop or no drop...after that there are only two components here. The balast and the bulbs. If swapping the bulbs, which would have the telltale black ends on them, does not solve the problem then it's pretty easy from there. Since these things vary so much it's not worth the time to troubleshoot them. I would keep some bulbs and ballasts in inventory so you can just quickly swap your way out of the problem. This way, very few recalls or return visits and quick repairs and thus more money in your pocket!! I still own a small automation repair business and simplifying is a key to getting in and out fast with check in hand! Keep a reasonable stock of parts. Your customers will never mind a small markup in price as compared to the inconvenience or expense of the problem......good luck...but like the other guy said...you win some ya lose some!......Happy Holiday....Ross

Reply to
Ross Mac

I remember an old salesman from the 70's giving me a tip for the repair business....He said "If you can't dazzle em with brilliance, then baffle em with bullshit".....just having fun here on your red face comment.....You did the right thing...whenever you hit a wall, tell the customer you will return with parts. It buys you time to think about the problem and to maybe round up some parts....good luck, Ross

Reply to
Ross Mac

wrong,,,but right :)

Reply to
sQuick

Hey asshole. You do not know what you are talking about. If there is a shorted turn a lot more current will flow. That is aside from the fact that ballasts are step up transformers. A shorted turn will cause one hell of a lot more current.

nothing...........Did

Reply to
bushbadee

nothing...........Did

Then when you do not know what you are talking about do not start off by calling some one a name. In any case it is not all the same. A choke and a transformer are two different things although a choke , or more properly an inductance can be built into a transformer.

167 volts peak is not enough to fire a florescent lamp particularly two in series which is the more common case.

Reply to
bushbadee

What kind of florescents bulbs are you useing that cost 30 pounds. Thats about 45 dollars here. We buy them, the 8 footers for about $2.40 here. Plus sales tax of course.

comment.....You

Reply to
bushbadee

Many (even most?) other parts of the world are not encombered by the low US mains voltage, and do not require the stepup transformer in ballasts for driving even the longest fluorescent tubes. The original poster did make it clear he's running in a 240V area, where a fluorescent tube ballast is normally just a choke/inductor.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

No need for excuses. I wouldn't hire you to install a florescent light if you did not know the basics of a ballast. Do you have Radio Shacks in England. For $35 you can purchase a digital voltmeter, 1/2 hour of what you charge, hardly an expensive device. You can purchase a cheap analong one, that would do the job for about $.5.00 My origonal comment still holds. I would not pay some one 60 or 70 pounds for an hour, just to put in a florescent bulb.. Unless of course you have one hell of a Union. I was a member of Local 3 the electricians union and we did not get any where near that much an hour. In any case, I gave you the correct information about ballasts.

Oh one more thing, you don't even need a meter to check a ballast with a shorted turn. Your hand will do the job. If it has a shorted turn the lamp will not light and it will get warm or hot and the lamp will not light. If it is open, then it will stay cold and again the lamp will not light. That is basic.

Reply to
bushbadee

Oh !! Here a ballast refers to a device used for florescent bulbs. Here we buy a little light with a 7.5 watt bulb and a built in photocell for about $2.00 or get 5 of them for about $10 at costco.

I have a pretty one ( Like a carraige lamp) in front of my house with a proximity sensor and a photo sensor that keeps it from coming on in the day time.

When I drive up at night it comes on and gives me light to open the door. That costs me 16 dollars at Builders Eporium. That must be some fixture for 30 pounds. Is it gold plated. ;-)

customer,i,m

Reply to
bushbadee

Oh! How provincial of me. I prefer 110. It takes a little longer to kill you if you are careless.

In which case a shorted turn will make a nice explosion as the lamp overloads. In any case it turns out that he was not referring to a florescent ballast . He was referring to a fixture with a light sensor to turn a lamp on. But at the price he was paying, it must have been gold plated. ;-) Another difference of terminology. My misunderstanding.

Reply to
bushbadee

Man, ever heard of sentence structure? Your writing's extremely hard to follow. It helps to put together something that's easy to follow if you want people to read it. You have no pattern in punctuations and it's full of spelling errors.

s wrote:

Reply to
AC/DCdude17

Pre-heat start is hard on lamps. Good portion of fluorescent fixtures are installed in commercial setups running 277V, yet we don't see pre-heat glow starter lamps.

Andrew Gabriel wrote:

Reply to
AC/DCdude17