Stepper motor torque control

Can a stepper motor be used for torque control

Your question is not detailed enough, you want to use the stepper motor's torque to drive the equipment and control the torque output of the stepper motor itself?
Or you wanna use the stepper motor to turn another torque controling device?

I want to use the stepper motor's torque to drive the equipment and control the torque output of the stepper motor itself. I have a winding application that I would like to feed wire onto a spool using a seperate constant speed feed device. Obviously the spool will need to change rotational speed as the package gets bigger. I would like to use a motor to drive the spool that will maintain a constant torque as the wire is put on the package. The reason I want to use a stepper is that when the package is full I need to position the spool. I have 24 of these and need to keep the cost down.
Thanks

The electronics to provide speed and torque control to a stepper will cost alot more than doing the same thing with a DC servo motor. You might use a mechanical brake to position the spool, details?? bg TEM wrote in message ...

is