What did you do this evening?

Driving a shaft out of a scrap ball bearing. Bearing has been on shaft for 58 years, well stuck. Don't have an arbour press. Bearing is sitting across vice
jaws and shaft is being persuaded with a three pound soft hammer. One hand holding hammer, other hand restraining shaft.
A moment's inattention and the hammer slides of the end of the shaft and squashes the hand against a step in the shaft.
A cleanly cut semicircle chomped into the hand and blood all over the bench.
Wash the crud of the hands with Swarfega. Dry up on paper towels. Spray plastic skin on to slow the bleeding and stick a plaster on to hold it.
Sit down and shake for a bit and then go back out to the shed to see if the shaft needs cleaning up.
The shaft is not too bad, no rust, just a bit of skin stuck to it. The bench, however, needs scraping with a wood chisel to get the puddle of dried on blood off it.
Go inside and have a beer.
Mark Rand RTFM

shaft for 58

across vice

One hand

and
the bench.

Spray
it.
if the

The bench,

dried on blood

Oops! Bet it stings like b*****y
AWEM

Clumsy b'strd....
Dave
Who managed to break 2 carbide tips whilst parting off, then giving it up as a bad job threw a full glass of red wine over the carpet. I guess the planets were against machining last night.
dave sanderson wrote:

Or maybe wine and machining aren't a good combo?

The Wine was an attempt to relax after the machining effort... I dont mix machine tools and wine, its to expensive as a cutting fluid :p
Dave
dave sanderson wrote:

OTOH, some of those boxed wines are cheaper than cutting fluid, come with their own dispensing system, and certainly are not fit for drinking.
In regard to the original question, I spent last evening setting up two new tool cabinets that I got on special from Sears. One box now contains nothing but mill tooling, the other is dedicated to the lathe.
Now, I need a project.

True! But they taste like vinegar, so I assume that these wines contain acid. If so those fluids are not fit for any metalwork :-(
--
Uffe Brentsen

On 6/17/2010 7:44 AM, Mark Rand wrote:

Ouch ! I thought I had a bad day . I tried to run a 3mm x.5 thread on a 2" lenght of 3mm brass rod , under power in the Myford , got about half inch along the rod and it snapped . Easy to get out of the die ,yeah ,split button die was adjusted right out , tried a small pair of vice grips to turn it out and it snapped again right back near the cutting edge ,jammed in there ,mongrel , drilled a 2mm hole down the center of the rod to collapse the brass to get it out, finally after much fiddling and cursing it came out.
--
Kevin (Bluey)
On 16/06/2010 23:14, Mark Rand wrote:

Drank a bottle of chilled dry white wine in the conservatory. :-) I work all day, stop at 17.00hrs.
Cheers Don
On 17/06/2010 09:55, Donwill wrote:

Went kite surfing in the morning, kayaking in the afternoon and used white wine as a muscle relaxant all evening :)
"Cliff Ray" <namnocATgotadslcouk> wrote in message

shaft
One
shaft and

the
Spray
hold it.

see
it. The

dried
Well morning, afternoon AND evening, shifted an estimated 2-300 tons of dumped spoil (brick rubble mixed with mainly earth) from the 'neolithic barrow' in our orchard, to form a 'pig island' above the flood plain in 'the wilderness' - a low lying bit of ground that is unused. The island will have pig arks and form a refuge when we have to over winter fatteners. BTW four Gloucester Old Spots off the the abattoir on Monday if anyone wants a half pig for the freezer?
AWEM
Andrew Mawson wrote:

Just a thought, I reckon a much better name for a pig arc is a pigloo! What do you think?
--
Regards, Gary Wooding
(To reply by email, change gug to goog in my address)

Why not - Pightle?
Old correct, possibly Doomsday English.
My old boss called his house that at Newton by the Sea on the Northumbrian Coast. Mine is the Gin gan or gingang- a farm building built around-- machinery. Quite correct being originally an Anglo Saxon farm
Norman

pigloo!
No definately not. Pigs don't foul their arks - they are naturally quite clean animals despite a bad press.
AWEM
Andrew Mawson wrote:

Hmm, interesting. I was thinking of an igloo for pigs, not a loo.
--
Regards, Gary Wooding
(To reply by email, change gug to goog in my address)
Mark Rand wrote:

Ouch!
Not last night but a week or so ago, brushed my finger against the bandsaw.
Fair bit of blood, and cut a neat slot through the nail. Looks like the bandsaw is okay though, and a nice girl at the the chinese nail place filled in the slot with acrylic, so no long-term damage envisaged.

I'll take that as a command :P)
-- Peter Fairbrother

Mark Rand Wrote: > Driving a shaft out of a scrap ball bearing. Bearing has been on shaft > for 58

> blood
Clumsey bastard.
Just got back from Sutton Coldfield where I bought an indexing table. Air operated, just fixed at 4 stations and bloody fast. I want this for modifying electric motor ends, some I need to trepan 4 large clearance holes and some need holes turning into slots, so 4 stations is magic.
It was Ok to do them by hand bolting to the table on the bridgy, unclamp, move, reclamp and then the nest hole when there were about 15 a month but so far this month I have 59 to do and advance orders for next month so far stand at 43.
John S.
--
John Stevenson