Slow forums this evening?

Not many messages being posted here, is everyone watching the elections tonight?

Reply to
RayDunakin

you wouldn't think and election could pull this group up for long lets see maybe 2 hrs

Reply to
Toby

Reply to
Toby

Probably still stuck in *line*... Gads - 5 hours in some cases around Detroit? Ridiculous...

Eldred

Reply to
EldredP

Good point. I am a Bush supporter on some issues, but on civil rights and excessive police powers he is horriffic.

Jerry

Reply to
Jerry Irvine

And folks say that it's the "liberals" who over-regulate... GWB is sure giving the "conservatives" a bad name that way too.

I guess calling it the "Committee for National Security" would have been too obvious... but our "post-9/11" reaction is saying to me that most of our stated reasons for hating "the Soviets" during the cold war - the various lapses of liberty which we associated with their regime, against which we would fight "for freedom" - were symptoms, not of the "inherent despotic nature of Communist Ideology" or anything, but of a large and fearful bureaucracy.

(And the Russians had more of an excuse: all we had was a few "camel jockeys", as Arnold R. put it, contrive to crash a few airplanes into some buildings. The Russians had _us_, the U.S., gearing up the industry that had just won world war 2, but this time aimed at them, developing huge rockets to drop atomic explosives on them from the other side of the world...!)

-dave w

Reply to
David Weinshenker

I agree.

Bush won, officially. [flash]

Buy bomb shelters and investigate ex-Pat status.

Reply to
Jerry Irvine

Fiscally conservative? Socially liberal? The so called "compassionate conservative"; not like the one who claims to be. That's a Libertarian!

From the little bit I've heard on such issues, the new governor of the PRK fits this definition too.

Bob Kaplow

Yep.

Reply to
Jerry Irvine

Yeah, what the heck is up with that?? Seems some of those eastern states are so screwed up they can't even run an election properly. I've never heard people having to stand in lines for hours here.

Reply to
RayDunakin

Population densities are more than double there.

Reply to
Jerry Irvine

Where do you live, Ray?

Most of those states out west are EMPTY, that is why you guys get the big waivers. There aren't enough people living out there to form a line, much less stand in one.

;-)

Reply to
Tweak
3 hour wait in appleton wisconsin around 2pm

at 4 pm, no waiting for 4th district, medford wisconsin. other three districts had a few ppl waiting(but not long)

Reply to
tater schuld

Ray- Hate to tell you but Detroit is not in the east. Why don't you be their consultant & tell them how to run an election. Only problem is that you might find the population is a 'little' denser than you are used to.

Reply to
Phil Stein

It's _way_ east from here. :)

Reply to
RayDunakin

I wonder how many people stood in line for an hour or two, then said "Screw this!" and left...? Or those who got to the polls and realized they wouldn't get to vote before they ran out of time for something else(work, class, etc.). I had the day off, so my being at the polls for a hour was only very annoying. If I'd had to go to work, I would have been screwed...

Eldred

Reply to
EldredP

This is one of the best examples of how thinking is truly different in the west vs the rockies vs the midwest vs the east.

The south is in a different country :)

Reply to
Jerry Irvine

It's also NORTH of Canada!

Bob Kaplow

I walked up to the polling place around 5pm. No line, in and out in less than 5 minutes. There were times and places with lines. Some polling places had to stay open late to let everyone vote.

The folks holding up the lines are probably the same folks driving 40mps i the left lane with their blinkers on. #!%@ floridians.

Bob Kaplow

Waiting until 5pm is dangerous around here. At that time of day, you're usually looking at the multi-hour wait. When I go at 7am, I'm usually about the 5th person in line. This time, there were about 100 people ahead of me...

Eldred

Reply to
EldredP