High ntesity Portable Desk Lamp

Bought one of these "balance/counter-balance" type lamps with a 50W HI bulb inside. Although I got it at a house auction, it looks brand new. Plugged it in. Didn't work. Took the bulb out, then the shield, and found a wire burned. Repaired it. Light worked great... for about 3 hours on and off over the course of a few days. Yesterday when I returned to my chair where the light had been on for half an hour I found the area dark. This time it wasn't the light nor the wires in under the shield. The round metal stand - which contains some power transformer or some other mechanism I suppose - was hot. I turn the switch off and it cooled down... but the light remained dead (as I expected it to). Can someone please tell me what mechanism is likely to be in that stand and whether or not it's a common part generally available at an electric component store or do I have to find the manufacturer and order form them... if the price is reasonable. Sometimes these parts are more costly than the end piece.

Reply to
John Gregory

HID lamps run very hot. NEVER touch the lamp wear gloves, as the oils in your fingers will shorten the life of the bulb dramatically. Down to minutes. The transformer in the base should be warm after a time running the lamp. Check the now burned lamp with a ohm meter, I will bet that is shot. Replace the lamp, with out touching it, use the foam in the package or gloves. See if this helps.

Reply to
Zathera

I do not know if you live near a Costco but I bought a great desk lamp in Costco for 15 bucks.

It is beutifally modern, has a 15 watt floresent bulb that gives as much light as a 50 watt bulb and spread over about a one foot length and locks in any position with little locking handles. It also runs cool and I did not have to spend a hundred bucks worth of time screwing around with it to get it to work . . I DO NOT FOLLOW MANY OF THESE NEWS GROUPS To answere me address mail to snipped-for-privacy@aol.com

Reply to
BUSHBADEE

Have the same type of desk lamp for three years now and still working fine. The base contains an AC / AC step down transformer and nothing else as far as I know.

If the base was that hot I guess the trans is cooked. Before changing any lamps have the trans checked first.

You might be surprised the price of replacement trans may be more expensive than buying new desktop lamp of the same.

A+

Reply to
A+

I get a reading of the bulb with an OHM meter. Looks like the transformer is toasted. Rats! There ain't no free lunch. :-) Thought I had a bargain at nine bucks. Now I'm nine in the hole. Oh well. Some days ya' eat the bear.... an' some days the bear eats you!

Reply to
John Gregory

You remind me of the bear we had in our woods. He was about to eat this guy and the guy convinced him to become a Christian. Now before he eats any one he repeats,"Farther we thank thee for this sustanence we recieve today."