Desk lighting

I can't stand working in my office/man-cave because the lighting is so crappy. I'm squinting like a 12 year old with a Playboy! I have one
eyeball type in the ceiling on the far left with a 100w equivalent, a low-watt pendant in the far right corner and a lighted magnifier an a articulated arm in the center rear of a 10' x 4' desk. I'm really thinking of a 4-bulb 8' florescent above the desk. Any better solutions?
On 24-Apr-15 9:28 AM, Tom Gardner wrote:

If you go fluorescent or CFL definitely get the "cool white" lamps rather than the dull yellow "warm white" ones.

Yeah, 4100K or higher.
--
"I believe there are more instances of the abridgment of the freedom
of the people by gradual and silent encroachments of those in power

Closer task lighting is better for that. How about a nice pure white (6500K) LED desk lamp? http://tinyurl.com/khrvu4d
Or a lovely daylight fluor floor lamp? http://tinyurl.com/n3zyjex
P.S: Don't forget to remove this after waking, Tawm: http://tinyurl.com/m7g4scl
--
"I believe there are more instances of the abridgment of the freedom
of the people by gradual and silent encroachments of those in power
Tom Gardner wrote:

Yep, a single 4' LED unit mounted over the desk.
The 6 LOA unit's I put in the shop as replacements for 2 bulb fluorescents made the place into an operating room. I mounted mine right into the same places as the originals.
http://www.samsclub.com/sams/4ft-led-shoplight-shoplight-led/prod16460030.ip
Not my video but a YTGG member.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0UBSeD5NEJk

--
Steve W.

On 4/24/2015 6:02 AM, Steve W. wrote:

That's the ticket!

Just NOT Lights of America. I had nothing but problems with that mfgr the 4 times I used their lights, and I just wish the purchases had been spaced out so it would have been a -single- learning experience. Nuttin' but Crap. Caveat emptor.
Tawm, be aware that you can get lights which are too -bright- for reading, too. Then again, we didn't ask what goes on inside your office/man-cave, did we? That's probably a good thing. ;)
--
"I believe there are more instances of the abridgment of the freedom
of the people by gradual and silent encroachments of those in power
On 4/26/2015 9:48 AM, Larry Jaques wrote:

Computer assembly/repair, drawing and reloading pistol cartridges.
On Wed, 29 Apr 2015 01:19:06 -0400, Tom Gardner
<snip>

<snip> http://tinyurl.com/m8d43q2 http://tinyurl.com/kk52tr7
Also as hydroponic grow light. I just fabricated a 8 strip 28" X 38" light panel.
how to install http://tinyurl.com/n8jku55 http://tinyurl.com/ndn9lf6
some sources http://tinyurl.com/p5uvp4m http://tinyurl.com/p92dk27
--
Unka' George

"Gold is the money of kings,
On Wed, 29 Apr 2015 10:21:54 -0500, F. George McDuffee

I think he'll certainly want to avoid the RGB strips unless he's making a disco. RGB doesn't produce a decent white light. I always opt for pure white (6500K) but the natural (4000K) is fairly nice. None of that incan urine yellow.
--
"I believe there are more instances of the abridgment of the freedom
of the people by gradual and silent encroachments of those in power
On 4/29/2015 11:51 PM, Larry Jaques wrote:

What are the RGB for? I can't imagine a huge market. I did spend some time looking at the offerings on ebay and have some great ideas...THANKS! But only for the white. Maybe the colors in the courtyard.
Tom Gardner wrote:

RGB are normally used to build displays. Like the LED signs and such. Lay them out based on the pattern you need to control them with a programmable controller.
--
Steve W.

Some women like colors for "mood". I never understood that much. ;)
The newer 4-color strips are good for them if needed. They have a separate white LED set, so chip sequence is R, G, B, W.
--
"I believe there are more instances of the abridgment of the freedom
of the people by gradual and silent encroachments of those in power

    [ ... ]

    Hmm ... assuming that there are separate wires to energize each color in each location, a lot of these on the side of a building could be made into a big TV display screen.
    If wire 'A' turns on *all* reds, wire 'B' turns on all greens, and wire 'C' turns on all Blues, then the disco idea mentioned above seems to make more sense.
    Enjoy,         DoN.
--
Remove oil spill source from e-mail
On Wednesday, April 29, 2015 at 11:22:00 AM UTC-4, F. George McDuffee wrote:

Apparently, various signals and heat given off by hydroponic grow lighting can attract police helicopters, too.
-- www.youtube.com/watch?v=CRbBu8nkjRk

    [ ... ]

    I picked up a roll of them (on an 8mm movie reel, from the looks of it) which had at least 25 feet of the tape. Runs from 12 VDC, and every few LEDs there is a point where it can be cut loose and new input wires connected.
    I think that these are used, among other things, for decorating "street rods". :-)
--
Remove oil spill source from e-mail
On Thu, 23 Apr 2015 21:28:05 -0400, Tom Gardner

=================I suggest two arm type drafting lamps with LED bulbs. Very bright and little heat. Slightly more expensive than the CFLs, but after making the switch a few months ago in several lamps like them better. Examples, but I'm sure your local big box store will have the equivalent. http://tinyurl.com/osv2due http://tinyurl.com/khoack7
--
Unka' George

"Gold is the money of kings,
On Fri, 24 Apr 2015 10:41:46 -0500, F. George McDuffee

I have swimg-arms all over my house, some with magnifiers and ring fluors. In one, I have a (60) 3528 SMD LED bulb totaling 4.5w and it works well for reading on the couch. http://tinyurl.com/kr76upr I can set these lamps in front of my eyeglasses to remove all glare. Glare is why I don't like over-the-shoulder lights or overheads. I put 12w (or 15?) spots in my hallway and utility room and they work fantastically well, even in fixtures.

Or these. I keep to 12w or less due to heat. And I'm shifting away from the 20w 5050 SMD LEDs due to power supply failures over the past couple years. Epistars seem to far outlast CREEs in the stock I have purchased over the last 5 years.
For anything requiring lots of light, I'm back to CFL, but I'm using 4100, 5000, or 6500K bulbs. What a difference in mood and readability at the higher Kelvin temps! I do not miss piss-yellow incandescents. especially when these are $3 or less each.
http://tinyurl.com/ko6ocqu 9w 120-degree spot http://tinyurl.com/kr76upr 12w 120-degree spot
http://tinyurl.com/kr76upr 15w 120-degree spot I have yet to determine longevity, but one of ten died overnight.
Dimmability adds 15-50% to the price, but adds compatibility with dimmers and home automation.
Be aware that a 9w bulb is driven lower so it only takes 7-8w of power. These are BRIGHT, though. For a flashlight, I put a 9w MR16 bulb into a box with a 5ah battery and it lights up the neighborhood.
--
"I believe there are more instances of the abridgment of the freedom
of the people by gradual and silent encroachments of those in power
On Friday, April 24, 2015 at 6:30:59 PM UTC-4, Larry Jaques wrote:

Gee, you're choice of words makes it damn difficult to read what you mean.

nope. nothing like a 4' shoplight.

Site Timeline