Ground + Neutral question

Hi, I'm looking through B&D's *complete* guide to home wiring; and on page14 it shows the ground attached to the neutral bar with the neutral attached also, then connected to the various devices independently. I thought the ground should be an independent wire just in case. thanks req

Reply to
reqluq

Nope, Ground and Neutral are always hooked together and often grounded at the breaker box. That is one of the reasons that GFCIs work. Any leakage current will take the ground path, therefore less current will flow in the Neutral causing it to trip.

What needs to be avoided it to have them connected at multiple locations.

Lots of web sites with more detail. For example:

Rich256

clarification the ground and neutral are common ONLY at the service. Every where else they are seperate. Breaker box could be any location

That is one of the reasons that GFCIs work. Any

Reply to
SQLit

Reply to
Rich256

breaker box.

No. Your ground and neutral should be 'bonded' at the service enterance.

Reply to
Igor The Terrible

Gavin Parsons