Heating cable/wire for home brew

Hi, I want to insulate my mash tun which is a picnic cool box, I want to remove the polystyrene lagging and wrap cable around the inner housing (something like soil warming cable??) and put a stat on it to keep it at 65 celsius.

Will soil warming cable go to 65? If not, what will?

Thanks for your help

Steve.

Reply to
Steve

Some heating cables cuts off at 155 degrees F. However, the cable manufacturer's specifications would give the correct temperature. You probably would better using a three 40 watt appliance light bulbs located at 120 degrees of each other and a line voltage thermostat set at 65 degrees. Heating cable runs about $4 a foot and does not have an independent temperature control.

Reply to
Mr. Smith

Lamps for heaters?

Nah.

Locate some heating cable that "shuts off" at a reasonable temperature. (It uses a PTC material for the heating element. No thermostat, no overheating, and an VERY long life (especially as compared to a lamp).

Reply to
John Gilmer