Help.. Voltage n Freq differences

I'm not an engineer or close to it so, here is a question for you pros.

Let's say I have an appliance designed for use here in the US on 120 V,

60hz. This appliance draws 500 watts (It's a heating element)

I move to Germany where they have 240v 50hz

What am I up against? I know I can buy a step down transformer that will allow me to operate at 120v.

But.. how does the difference in frequency affect the appliance? Is it likely to be a problem?

In this case, it's a heater designed for cooking.. a smoker

Thanks for taking the time to help.

Reply to
Baldy

i thought smokers used fuel that makes smoke like wood or charcoal.

you can get a transformer (or an autotransformer) however you might be surprised at the cost verses the cost of a new smoker. you want to upsize the transformer so it runs cool... say about 1,000 watts.

i bought one last summer. IRRC it cost about $100

Reply to
TimPerry

True, but some smokers use electricity to heat the wood to the smoke point.. with these smokers you don't have to cut down a whole tree to smoke the meat.

But, still the question.. say I have a 600-750 watt transformer already that will drop the voltage from 240 to 120v.. What will be the danger (?) of 50hz vs 60hz on a resistance such as a nichrome wire heater.???

Reply to
Baldy

The domestic voltage in Germany is 230V 50Hz and in the UK it is 240V 50Hz.

BillB

Reply to
billb

My Bad.. I was just repeating his numbers.. I should have known having been there a couple of times.

Really, the main question is Hz differences. The xfmr takes care of the voltage.

Thanks for the reply

Reply to
Baldy

The only way it would make a difference is if there are fancy electronic controls. The controller would be the unit that might be frequency sensitive. If there just is an on-off switch. I would not worry about it. If there is an electronic temperature controller there is a far out chance that there would be a problem--but not likely. A thermostatic switch without electronics should not be a problem.

Bill

-- Fermez le Bush

Reply to
Salmon Egg

Gracias.. some units have digital controls.. this is simply a rheostat type controller.

Reply to
Baldy

50 Hz vs 60 Hz is not an issue on a heating resistance.

I am more worried about some other odds and ends. The transformer may be effected by frequency, if it is designed for 240 V 60 Hz I wouldn't use it on 240 V 50 Hz. I imagine your smoker is designed to plug into a receptacle. How are you going to provide a receptacle connection at the transformer secondary, safely & without violating a slew of code rules? How does the transformer connect to the 240V? If you have to jury rig some wiring or install wrong receptacles it's not worth it.

operator jay

240/250>110 volt "converters" are widely available in Europe. They normally have an integral standard US socket into which the equipment can be plugged.

All the OP has to ensure is that the unit is rated for the load wattage required and that the converter has a 2 or 3 pin, unearthed or earthed socket, as appropriate.

Something like ebay item 290069718024 (which is little more than a power rectifer in a case) will do, if the unit doesn't need an earth and has no exposed metalwork.

I have been running a US waffle iron in the UK for years (earthed) using just a rectifier.

Reply to
Palindr☻me

Thanks again.. I think the military provides the boxes for the home use of their folks..

I know my son had some while he was in Germany.. and they worked.. but, I have no idea what they do other than step down.

Reply to
Baldy

Be careful with the voltage convertors. You've got to pay attention to the wattage rating. Most of the ones I've seen are for shavers, electric toothbrushes, small scale electronics, etc. In other words, low power devices.

The transformers that convert 240/120 V. for overseas appliances are quite common, heavy, and relatively expensive. I see these rated up to 1500 watts or so. Smaller models are also available.

Don't just buy any transformer rated 240/120 however. If it is only rated for 60 hz, it may heat up excessively (more current will flow at

50 hz for a given voltage.

Most people who have experience of long periods overseas wind up just buying the appliances locally for the rated voltage.

Beachcomber

Reply to
Beachcomber

The ones my son had were about 6" square and a bit taller than that.. I know I had a little plug in device I bought in a dept store that was just good for small stuff.

Reply to
Baldy

--------------- The European converters are likely designed for either 50 or 60 Hz operation. Running a 60Hz transformer on 50Hz will result in excessive magnetising current and core losses with the result that overheating even at light load can occur. Buy a step down transformer or converter designed for

50Hz- it will be a bit bigger and heavier than a 60Hz equivalent.
Reply to
Don Kelly

I stopped smoking years ago, so I'm out of touch. If this smoker includes a fan, 50 Hz may be a problem.

Presume that's a half-wave rectifier ... so only one side of the waffle gets heated. Do you turn it over half-way through? Sorry, couldn't resist.

Reply to
Roby

"Baldy" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@corp.supernews.com:

No, 60 Hz in, will result in 60 Hz out. 50 in, 50 out.

On a resitive heating element it wont matter. but a motor, or ... ?? will have an effect

Reply to
Ale Brewer