How to measure inductance indirectly?

can anyone be more clear on how to get the current drop (I) ? and for the voltage, is it just simply measure the highest peak value ? ( I only have a pulse generator)

thank you..

eric

Reply to
Eric

hey all,

I only have a pulse generator and a O-scope to measure the inductance, and the pulse generator produce around 10Mhz to 30 Mhz, i think, would that drive the inductor to saturation? (I have few inductors with range from 150uH to 330uH, but keep giving me false result, so i suspect they have miss labelled.)

also, could someone please clarify on which voltage to measure on the o-scope for the inductor? (just the highest peak value ?) then how to get the current drop for the inductor ? thanks a bunch ..

Reply to
Eric

Saturation is more a factor of the imposed voltage. However, for ferrite or iron core inductors, the permeability of the core is a factor of frequency. Measure at or near the design frequency of the device. If you are testing inductors designed for use at power line or audio frequencies, a measurement at 30 MHz may be practically useless.

As low as possible. However, by increasing the voltage, you can find the inductor's saturation point as well.

Reply to
Paul Hovnanian P.E.