B AOL CORRUPTED COMPUTERS AND A BARGAIN.

Paul why bother with this guy. He is a smuck and has nothing better to do. He has nothing to add to the groups knowledge base and the best he can do is occaisionally stick his head out ot the woodwork and wave it around. You know a brief candle.

By the way, I was getting charged over $50 a month by aol for thier dsl service, aside from the fact that they damaged 3 of my computers with their dsl software.

It took them a year and a half for them to admit that they did the damage and then had the cheek to tell me, Well the program did not corrupt every one's computer.

I was about ready to sue them and had a whole list of people who's computers had been damaged.

I had talked to and was in touch with a number of people who had worked for AOL and confirmed that there had been a lot of corrupted computers.

Finally some one at AOL in their microsoft dept told me that he knew of the problem and that I should wait a month, the new aol 8 would contain a fix for the corrupted file. Microsoft even knew of the problem and had put out a bulletin on it and the fix was beyond my understanding. When I downloaded aol8, the fix came along with the program (There was a corrupted file on Internet Explorer ) and XP could not detect which file was corrupted and so could not fix or replace the file.. When I loaded 8 in , the fix was included and the problem went away.

The problem was that you could get to aol and use aol services just fine, but you could not get to the internet. I ended up using another computer, which I had to wipe clean and reload to get rid of the bug.

Well they had given me another modem and replaced the actiontec one that caused the problem. After a year and a half that modem went south. I called up and asked for a new modem. Two of their tecs agreed tthat the new modem had gone south. They gave me a hard time and wanted me to return the intermittant modem before they would send me a new one. that would have put me off the air competely for I do not know how long. Verizon was running DSL with MSn for 35 dollars so I gave them a call and had a new modem here in days.

My my ethernet hub would not work with aol, don't know why, but the company told me it wouldn't after I had bought it and a couple of transmitters.

It worked just fine with the Verizon DSL.

I also switched to aol bring your own booze (ISP) for $10 bucks.

Now I have the same aol, I had before but for $10. In addition I could sign onto Verizon, which has some good content, I can sign on with AOL just like before, I can sign on with MSN , and can sign on with Outlook Express, In fact I can sign on with all four at once. Each has it's advantages. Outlook Express is what is called POP3 and I can use McCafees spam remover which does not work with aol.

So now I have so much more and for less money.

I do not lose all my favorites or my notebook that way although I got a program which translates AOL format to text so it can be used in any program.

I notice you have aol and I thought you might want to check into this.

If you are paying them $50 bucks to , they will now lower your price and give you a couple of months free if you call them up and tell them that you want it.

Oh one other thing. I did not want to wipe my main computer to get rid of the bug. It has about 150 gigs of data and programs on it and it would take about $8000 bucks worth of time to do that. If had to do that, I would have sued. . . I DO NOT FOLLOW MANY OF THESE NEWS GROUPS To answere me address mail to snipped-for-privacy@aol.com

Reply to
BUSHBADEE

Like I have been saying for many years....AOHELL sucks!.....glad you finally worked it out without losing your data!.....Ross

Reply to
Ross Mac