I am just curious - can anybody maybe tell me

Hi All

They say that there is an enormous amount of energy stored in a drop of water. How much energy is stored in a AAA battery? We know that one AAA battery generate a light for several minutes or even hours... is that "all" the energy stored in that one battery, or is this due to the fact that there are much more energy in the battery, but that its utilization is inefficient. E = MC2, but the mass of the battery is not the energy in the battery.

The question is, if the energy in one AAA battery is utilized to its full potential and with maximum efficiency, how much energy is in one AAA battery?

Sorry for such a stupid question.

Thanks Anton

Reply to
ABF

The solution is in the rated "mAh" guide on the battery casing. (mAh = milli-Amperes per hour)

Reply to
BigWallop

Make that milliamp-hours. ...as in milliamps *TIMES* hours, not milliamps divided by hours.

Reply to
krw

And that ain't much.

E.g.: 1000 mA hour cell with one volt would produce 1/1000 KWH. If you pay $.10/KWH, this "cell" would produce 1/100 $.01.

A "typical" cell might produce 3 or 4 Watt Hours of energey. But still only a fraction of a cent.

Reply to
John Gilmer

This is not an exact answer to your question, but does contain some interesting facts about energy storage in general:

I wish more people would read this kind of facts, rather than assuming that the hydrogen fueled automobile is the answer to the oil shortage!

Reply to
VWWall

sure, but try to light a light bulb with it....

not all that much...

lots more than a water drop, yes E=mCC. Once again we don't know how to convert it to usable energy...

Reply to
me

You describe the energy in a drop of water as enormous, and it is in terms of E=MC^2. But in terms of chemical energy, which is how the energy is stored in the AAA cell in your reference, the drop of water is inert - there is little or no stored enrgy. So the comparison is meaningless. Can you explain what you have in mind with respect to the drop of water?

In common terms, the energy storage capability of an AAA cell is poor.

Ed

Reply to
ehsjr

The energy released from a battery is released from a chemical reaction. The chemical bonds between the chemicals in the battery are broken, new bonds are formed, creating a new chemical, and a release of electrons. The battery does not directly convert mass to energy.

Dwayne

Reply to
Dwayne