I can't wait that long to charge the batteries!

Some domestic appliances come with rechargeable cells that need charging for many hours before their first use.
For example, I have a Panasonic DECT phone with two AAA NiMH cells which
needs charging for 7 hours.
But maybe you can't wait that long for some reason and you simply "must" use the appliance!
How much would cell life be reduced if such an appliance is used after, say, only 30 to 60 minutes of charging instead of the 7 hours?

First, take care that NiMH and NiCd are different, Nicads have a 'memory effect' that makes this unwise. You've got Nickel metal hydrides, so you can do it. Most of the charge goes in during the first part of the charge, the increase isn't linear.
That means you can grab a useful charge in the first hour of charge, but to make sure the full charge is properly applied, use up that charge before trying to recharge, then give it the full time. Don't try to guess how much is needed if you charge from empty for an hour, use for half an hour, and such, you'll probably overcharge the batteries.
In short, you can get a lot of capacity from a charge of as little as one third of the time for full charge, but whatever you do, always start the charge on a freshly discharged MiMH battery so you know where you are.
Top posted just this once...
AT LAST! SOMEONE THAT SCTUALLY KNOW THE PROPER TERMS FOR THE DEVICES HE USES!
Thanks dude... I needed that.
There, english TARDS.
Put that in you enema bag and shove it up your asses!

On Jul 27, 5:10 am, Spurious Response

A simple solution might be to use standard disposable AAA batteries until the others are fully charged. There might be a problem if these batteries are left in for a long time but I imagine the risk would be minimal. Most manufacturers have Helplines who could advise. Can anyone tell me what a "Tard" is,let alone an English one? I imagine "Spurious Response" is a Redneck? Curious breed!
Wilscombe wrote:

It's short for "retard", which itself is shorthand for "mentally retarded person".
--
"Liberals used to be the ones who argued that sending U.S. troops abroad
was a small price to pay to stop genocide; now they argue that genocide

Nope. The term retard can be referring to such a person, but it also means taking a step back.
Take some techno-person, watch him state something utterly ludicrous, and just like the "retarded" timing on an automobile, viola! We have someone that is acting retarded.
They are rampant in Usenet.
Have several sets of batteries with external chargers. While you are gabbing away on your phone, you can be having some batteries on charge. When the batteries in use are running low, you do a battery swap. Calculate the number of sets of batteries and chargers you will need, and then go for it!
By the way it sounds, I would guess you will need three sets of batteries and chargers.
--

Jerry G.

"Caspian" < snipped-for-privacy@nomail.com> wrote in message
On Sat, 28 Jul 2007 15:05:24 -0400, "Jerry G."
No. You have several cell in external charging devices, which been improperly monikered as "battery" chargers.

No. You have some cells on charge.

When the cells run low, you should swap ALL of the CELLS that comprise your device's BATTERY, as swapping only those you perceive as being drained is asking for problems.

Unrelated stupid shit.

Unrelated stupid shit.
wrote:> A snipped, and annoying, lecture on the distinction between 'cell' and

If it excercises you so much, instead of lambasting someone just because you can, write a letter to the Times or something. Submit an article to a journal. Or at least write to every maker of commercial gear who transgresses. There's more to understanding something than getting the exact words right. Sure it's misleading, but most people know how to avoid the problems. If you really want to evangelise on this point, get a job writing manuals for a major company, as that's the way you'll most likely shape public usage of these terms. You certainly won't reach them this way.