I Need buck-boost 18volts@12 amp Converter

Can the output be floating, or does it need a common ground with the supply?

If floating:

Start with the circuit for a 12v 250W rms bridge audio/servo amplifier and then drive it with a frequency of your choice. Take the output, full wave rectify and smooth it and sample it to give a voltage to control the frequency generator output amplitude.

If common ground:

Stick a 1:1 transformer with appropriate ratings between output and rectifier.

Reply to
Palindrome

Hi Guys, I need to boost and regulate a cars power system from 11.5 v (drained batt) to 15 volts input (max alt. charging), to a regulated 14~18 volts @ 10~12 amps, about 140~200 watts. I cant find a schematic or design for more than 5 watts. The closest thing I can think of would be a 100 watt Computer Laptop mobile power supply that plugs into the cigeratte lighter. I dont need tight regulation, 0.25 volt ripple is OK. I'm hoping to build something for less than $15. Any ideas? Thanks......

Reply to
zz

how about a 6 volt golf cart battery with the negative going to the cars

+13.8? a stack of 10A or so diodes would drop the voltage down to desired level
Reply to
TimPerry

Here follows a link to a design for a +11V to 14.3V Input to 16V at 70 Watts (4.4A):

Maxim provide a wide range of completed design exercises ("cookbook"):

Plus application notes:

Feeding the Max668 partnumber in will give you all the information you need to modify the circuit for 200W output and design a unit:

However, it can be done by paralleling up the inductor, switch and rectifier components and increasing the capacitor bank. This will probably be a lot cheaper than sourcing the inductor needed for 200W in one go.

Reply to
Palindrome