impedance of current transformer

It's still there. I hope to get a tour my next trip.

Reply to
No Spam

There are probably standards (IEEE/ANSI) that answer your questions. We don't test molded case breakers, so I am unfamiliar with the standards. I am not sure how your running a CT in reverse is going to answer your question either.

Charles Perry P.E.

Reply to
Charles Perry

Try

?s falke

Reply to
s falke

| There are probably standards (IEEE/ANSI) that answer your questions. We | don't test molded case breakers, so I am unfamiliar with the standards. I | am not sure how your running a CT in reverse is going to answer your | question either.

Running a CT in reverse is not going to answer them. But having the answers might provide added safety details to consider. I'll probably go sign up on one of the Tesla coil forums and ask those guys. They know how to push the envelope in one direction and might have an idea about the other.

Reply to
phil-news-nospam

You keep changing your mind. First you asked about making lots of current. As people began answering, you said you were really after the answers to about a dozen questions related to breaker testing. Now you just want to make lots of current again.

Charles Perry P.E.

Reply to
Charles Perry

I didn't write this- but thanks anyhow.

Reply to
Don Kelly

Aaak! Sorry Don. I try to be careful with attributions, but sometimes..

?s falke

"D> I didn't write this- but thanks anyhow.

Reply to
s falke

| You keep changing your mind. First you asked about making lots of current. | As people began answering, you said you were really after the answers to | about a dozen questions related to breaker testing. Now you just want to | make lots of current again.

Why would I put both in the same posting? What inspired the first post was the CT question. It's not the only question I have; it's the one I picked to post first. Then testing was mentioned, and that connected with already existing questions that hadn't been posted yet (but might have been some day). It's not "changing my mind". All the questions are valid.

And yes, if I ever do build a high current system, I probably will do some destructive "testing" (demonstration is more like it) on things like small wires and fuses. With the lower voltage it might not be as spectacular as it could be (I'm not likely to be building a 100 MVA generator).

I'm just thinking about it for now, and trying to figure out what might be doable, without costing too much moeny, and still maintaining a level of safety at least equivalent to what the HV experimenters do. The voltage might not be able to jump out at me, but there could be a big arc flash if something shorts out.

Reply to
phil-news-nospam

Here Ya Go ! Rudimentary but Do-able.

Get a Frankenstien Sized Twin Blade Switch. 5-600A or anything rated way over your 200A. Wire up One Leg of your 200 Amp circuit to it 110V [from Buss bore a Tap/Die a hole for a screw terminal if none available] with CB off of course, use a Cordless Drill/Driver for this };-) but do not tap off your Main it won't work well @#};-)

On the other Terminal of your Giant Blade Switch to >~< Ground

***Carefully *** };-o

Of Course: you'll Screw this Giant Switch Down on an Insulated surface.

Place a Clamp on Ammeter on it for monitoring.We're all Professionals here, so, have a qualified & experienced Helper to assist you:) ru near nyc ?

NOTE *** use Gloves and any pertinent or paranoid protection you can muster.

Firmly Throw the Switch }:-) !!!!!

see record how & where it cuts off and trips the CB. tell us about it }:-)

Have a Nice Weekend !

Reply to
Roy Q.T.

Now, you know I am Jesting a little about this method of testing the Mains on a Panel.

I'm sure there is a trip tester somewhere out there like the ones designed for GFCI's., but if you're thinking I'm all funny about it, I'm not, I'd test it in a similar fashion if i had need to.

Boring the Buss for a Solid Tap may damage or weaken your Panel., done out of the way of cb placement tabs and leaving the tap screw securely in place after the test, should maintain it's integrity.

Since this has nothing to do with Impedance nor the OP I submit I find it interesting and feasible., but not a likely course of action for the average person.

I'm sure the Monster Blade Switches are available where ever High Voltage Products are sold :-)

Reply to
Roy Q.T.