lens swapping advice needed please

I am a woman (yes I know...please don't sigh) and I have a Logitech webcam with zoom. It has broken internally (?) I have replaced it with a more basic model (also Logitech) but the focus is not as clear/sharp as the one which is now broken. Would it be a simple case of me taking the broken webcam apart and swapping the lenses over? How do I do it? (in simple terms please) Please don't suggest it isn't worth it-I'd like to try out of interest. Thanks

Reply to
baglady

| I am a woman (yes I know...please don't sigh) and I have a Logitech webcam | with | zoom. It has broken internally (?) I have replaced it with a more basic | model (also Logitech) but the focus is not as clear/sharp as the one which | is now broken. | Would it be a simple | case of me taking the broken webcam apart and swapping the lenses over? How | do I do | it? (in simple terms please) Please don't suggest it isn't worth it-I'd like | to try out of interest.

It depends (yes, this is probably the most common answer to everything).

It depends on the focal length of the lens, it's focal aperture (how wide it is relative to it's focal length), the size of the image sensor, and the distance of practical mountings from the sensor. If all are the same, it should work just fine. There's a chance they may be the same since it is an economic advantage for the manufacturer to minimize the number of different components they use across their many models.

A lens mounted at the focal length distance from the sensor will have a point of focus at infinity. Mounted any closer, and things just get more out of focus. As the lens moves further from the sensor, the point of subjects it has in focus moves closer to the lens. At a distance from the sensor of two times the focal length, the subject will need to be the same distance from the front of the lens (e.g. also twice the focal length). So if the lens is mounted too close, everything is blur, and if too far, then things have to be very close to be in focus.

Sensor coverage is another issue. if the lens is too small, you can end up with vignetting, which is you would see the image in a smaller circle with black around it.

I'd ned to know things like the specific lens focal length, sensor size, etc., to be able to tell you if it can work in a useful way. But I doubt you can measure all that.

Reply to
phil-news-nospam

"baglady" wrote in news:41dee55b$1 snipped-for-privacy@mk-nntp-2.news.uk.tiscali.com:

baglady, Most Logitech cameras have an adjustable focus lens, although it is not noted anywhere on the camera. Open the camera software and as you watch the live picture, rotate the lens one way...or the other.

Reply to
Anthony