photo questions

have tried recently to post for the first time pictures of models I have built on alt.binaries.models I am not having much success as my pictures are coming out blurry no matter how close or far I take the picture from the model, I am using an HP digital camera and I use Microsoft Picture it and Adobe photo delux to edit them, would it possible to get some tips from those of you that post pistures regulary in alt binaries.

TIA Daryl

Reply to
Daryl

Taking model pictures with most digitals is quite difficult. Digitals other than single lens reflex digitals are very hard to focus. The LCD displays are not as high as the actual resolution, so it is hard to check the focus. When you are taking extreme closeups, the depth of the model is significant compared to the distance. So you must actually focus on a particular PART of the model. Optimum is to focus about 1/3 of way from nearest part of model to furthest part of model.

The advantage of the SLR is that you can see the focus visually through the viewfinder. I cannot afford a digital SLR, so I use a film SLR for model photography, and scan the print if I need to do computer processing, or get it into my computer.

Also, usually one needs some supplemental means of close focusing. Most cameras will not focus, with their normal lens, on distance we like to shoot models at. If your camera has a "macro" mode, this will do it. However, then you are faced with the problem I mention above. If it does not have a macro mode, you need supplemental lenses.

Reply to
Don Stauffer in Minneapolis

I'd say the camera ought to be able to handle this sort of work. Have you had any success with this camera in taking other pictures? How do you hold the camera? I see many people holding digital cameras at arm's length, watching the screen on the backpanel, but this is hardly a stable position. Have you tried holding the camera against your face while looking through the seeker?

Rob

PS: I'm not trying to be pedantic about this, but I generally prefer to make sure the basics are OK before digging into the details.

Reply to
Rob van Riel

Hi Daryl,

Been looking at your photos and on your 1st post everything was fine apart from being too close. If you look at the paper towel you can see that it is sharp.

As to the others, they are in focus but I don't understand where the lines are from.

I advise you to begin with checking camera manual to find out 2 things:

  1. Ensure original picture is at highest resolution, therby provinding the most detail.

  1. If the camera has a fixed lens or has auto-focus.

2.1 If the camera is fixed focus, it may have a slide on front of camera for close-focus but this will be to around 1.5m. By taking picture in highest quality you can enlarge on pc without losing too much detail.

2.2 If the camera has auto-focus (usually with an optical zoom - all have digital zoom that really degrades quality), check manual and camera may have close-up mode or button down to anything from 4-10in (usually identified by flower symbol).

Once pictures are on pc and you have edited them to your liking you can then 'Save-as' lower resolution suitable for posting on the web.

Hope this helps, Stephen

Reply to
SL