Questions about selling tools on Ebay

Hellow,
I'm am an newbie in the New England areas and having many shop tools and
machines to be selling off for holingdays money.
Questions are for selling at Ebay Auction site. They will not sign me up using
my name, telling that I'm bad seller. I don't understand. Do I need to use a
different name to sell there? I am not a kid but a recently American citizen
who voted in last election.
Also if I do get to auction, do I make pictures large to show details of
professional rebuilded machines and tools or make small to load faster? Do I
tell all informing on condition like small cracks in cast ironor dentings and
missed parts or will be my seller reputation and good enough?
I am like the reliable end mill in Claifornia and they aren't telling much on
the tools they sell but they are showing mostly photographs. They must be shady
outfit to sale at 99¢ and go up from there too.
I am gratefull to find a home here as a newsgroupie and am happy to hear from
my new friends with help. I do many repairs and rebuilding of old Southwestern
Bend turn-lathes, food blenders and electric telephones and others but hobbies
is electronics, pool and science of poolcue makeing.
Thank you to my new friends so say hpapy holingdays!
A Babin
Reply to
Sir Al Babin
Unless you've sold on Ebay before it's most likely that they had someone with your name or similar who _was_ a bad seller -- it's amazing just how many people there are in the world with duplicate names, even if your name isn't "John Smith".
I haven't sold on Ebay myself (so you can rate anything I say accordingly).
My first advise would be to go shopping; look at the sales notices that make _you_ want to buy -- do you like pictures? Lots of descriptions? Both? Neither? Make a list of the notices that would make you feel comfortable buying, then try to make yours the same. You should _always_ be able to look at your own stuff and say "gee, I'd like to buy from this guy" before you say "dang! ain't I smart!".
My second advise would be that if someone who _does_ have lots of experience, and who's tried a number of different things, pipes up -- listen to them, but temper it with what _you_ think is going to work for _you_.
Reply to
Tim Wescott
Hook. Line. Sinker.
GTO(John)
Reply to
GTO69RA4
"Babin" is a good term to Google for one chapter in the history of this newsgroup. "Teenut" is another although it results in a very different story.
Charles Morrill
Reply to
Charles Morrill
I don't understand, either. Have you had any experiences as a seller with ebay? Did you register, sell some items, and not make good on them? Is this your first time on ebay, and they have you confused with someone else? Many answers to your questions will be in those answers. Please provide details so we can give you exact information.
Do I need to use a
If it is a hassle, and you are on the up and up, you could use a friend's identification. They need a bank account number, credit card number, etc. You may have to cut that friend in for a vig (%) to get him/her/it to help you.
I am not a kid but a recently American citizen
It depends on the selling price of your item. If it is going to sell for a high amount, a couple of bucks won't make any difference. Most people are on higher speed connections these days, so bigger files can be transferred. And those with slower speeds will want to wait to see better pictures.
Do I
BE SURE TO MENTION EVERY CRACK, DING, MISSING PART, AND MOUSE TURD ON THE THING. This will save you a lot of grief later. Trust me on this. (see my explanation at the end of this post)
Sometimes people start an item off at 99 cents to get action. To get people to start bidding on it.
Happy holidays to you. ebay is a bit confusing and intimidating. I have over 500 sales and purchases. I have around 100 items for sale at this time. I am structuring an ebay business kicking off in the coming year to sell metal products. I have some experience with sales and buys that I have structured my previous comments on. You can sell just about anything on ebay. Making a smooth sale is dependent on
1. A good title description with the right keywords. You only have about 80 characters, so choose carefully. Do a search of completed items and see how they were keyworded.
2. A good description of the item WITH all the flaws. This shows you are representing the item AS IS, and not hiding ANYTHING. It shows honesty.
3. Good photographs (and I mean GOOD) with at least a 1.3 mp camera. And use the close up settings. Not necessary to use a great big camera as that will give you a huge file size, and most ebay pictures are limited to 960x1280 unless you go to the supersize, and then you can put a lot bigger pic on there.
4. Shipping and handling that can be figured by the buyer in advance. On machinery, I have had them pick it up at my house, and I have had people drive as far as 400 miles to do that. If you do ship, charge only what it costs you, plus a few bucks for packaging and schlepping to UPS or USPO.
HTH
Steve
Reply to
SteveB
And almost got the rod and reel too...
Jeff
Reply to
Jeff Wisnia
Step 1) purchase bucket of gray paint. Step 2) apply liberally to cast iron goods-for-sale. Step 3) cut-past-n-crop to produce tantalizing photos for ebone.
Have fun!!
Jim
Reply to
jim rozen
Sorry, Gunner--with Ebay its still buyer beware, and Reliable is no exception.
Ive made two purchases from them and in both cases they werent what I would call reliable.
I bought a used machining center from them for $14,000 that was advertised as "in good running condition".....
There was .040 tram in x axis and .010 in Y--the turcite was damned near worn clear through........
( Photos of turcite replacment on the machine saddle below for those that might be interested )

The X axis ballscrew still sounds like a dump truck transmission that someone has filled full of gravel, and the Y axis dont sound a hell of a lot better.......
But then again I wasnt expecting it to be in pristine shape either, despite their "advertising"..........so not a real big deal to me.
And the other thing--I bought a pair of tool cabinets from them--advertised as being Stanley Vidmar, and giving approximate cabinet dimensions.........grainy photographs, you know the drill.....
When they got here I was a bit dissapointed as they weren't Vidmar--instead were made by Lista--not that I dislike Lista, but Lista and Vidmar are sized a bit differently and so the Lista dont mix in worth a shit if your already using exclusively Vidmar.......
You would think they should of been able to tell the differance and advertise with the correct information.....after all, Lista is about to Ford as Vidmar is to Chevy.
Again, not a real big deal.....these were bench height cabinets and my intent was to use them as free standing anyways--its just that mixing them in with a row of Vidmars is not gonna be an option if I decide I wanna rearrange the furniture someday........
Reply to
PrecisionMachinisT
Quick, get the gaff!
GTO(John)
Reply to
GTO69RA4
Unfortunately, Ali Babin is a very well known name that is in complete total disrepute. What is more difficult for you is that he also is in the Northeast. I'd suggest that you use something completely different for a name or go find the person and remind him about morals and business in a good severe fashion.
Bob May
Well said!
For those not familiar with eBay, they require identity checks for sellers extending far beyond name alone. A mistake in identity is *HIGHLY* unlikely.
Harry C.
Reply to
Harry Conover
Ah. So his problem is that not only his name is similar, but his SSN, his bank, his address, his mother's maiden name, all of those?
Goodness, what a coincidence.
Reply to
Tim Wescott
"Corporate history" of rec.crafts.metalworking -- where did it go? :-)
Enjoy, DoN.
Reply to
DoN. Nichols
ROFLMAO Don
Reply to
Don Murray
Nascarman stole it!!!!
Charles Morrill
Reply to
Charles Morrill
"Sir" Al Babin? "in the New England areas?" "an newbie?" "holingdays?" Give us a freaking break! You are the notorious eBay scammer who is well known to many, if not most, members of this NG. You can't even compose pigeon English in a convincing manner. Idiot.
FOAD
Sir Al Bab> Hellow,
Reply to
Edward Greeley
Old AL I have not heard from you in a while. Have you been locked up? Are you going to start up again?.I had a lot of fun reading all your neg feedbacks on E- bay you sure did have alot of them.
Reply to
TLKALLAM8
Who said I complained to them ???
Reply to
PrecisionMachinisT
Hey whats the season limit on this species?????
Reply to
ph17314
In both cases, prohibitive shipping costs......
====
" Buyers are responsible for all shipping and handling charges. Here are some ways to have your merchandise delivered to your home or business."
====
How much money and time do you suppose I might have into a 15,000 lb item before I have it trucked across two states, rigged into my shop and setup ???
And the tool cabinets same distance, and viewed in relation to the purchase cost ???
====
I stand by my original statement, which was: