@#$%^&*(!! msn

Anybody know how the msn piece of crap keeps installing itself as my home page? Better yet, what do I delete to keep it from happening. Three times a week is more than a little excessive.

Reply to
Lennie the Lurker

On your desktop screen where all your icons are, or in the sart menu, right- click on the blue E, select properties or "internet properties", then type or paste the URL you want to use as your homepage, then click "use current", then click "apply", then click "ok" and you're done. In any case, you want to find "Internet properties" to bring up that window.

Alex

Reply to
AAvK

Assuming you don't have a piece of malware that keeps re-setting your home page the following will work. Navigate to whatever page you want as your home page. On the toolbar (top left of window) find 'tools'. On the drop-down list click 'internet options'. The first box is the 'select start page'. Click "use current". Click 'ok'. Done. If IE re-sets to another page after that you have been hijacked. Regards. Ken.

Reply to
Ken Davey

A PS to my post - while you are there (internet options) click on 'delete files' - you will free up a lot of hard drive real-estate. Ken.

Reply to
Ken Davey

One of the things you will want to do is to go into the Security tab of the Internet Options and turn ActiveX stuff off as well as Scripting. Doing these two things keeps stuff from attaching itself to your computer as these are the two "features" that cause programs to be loaded to your computer and run.

Bob May

There is one -- it's just not as large or pronounced as the one over the South pole.

Reply to
Tim Wescott

Yours truly runs a completely M$ free machine... Mac OSX, Mozilla, Eudora and MT-NewsWatcher.

It's always up, and howling fast. No spyware, malware, pop up/under ad's or mysterious stuff making setting/pref changes for me. Even if some were to leak in, they'd be easy to find and dump... Never had any virus protection, nor see any need for it in the foreseeable future.

Well, maybe I lied about being 'completely' M$ free... I do have a copy of Word so I can open those files when I get them, and I have some sort of little free M$ Media Player gimmick. Even then, I like Mac's little Appleworks word processor for just pounding off quick letters and the like.

Erik

Reply to
Erik

If there's any malware, it came from microshitdotcom. It's been happening ever since the last time I updated W98. My homepage is "use blank", I don't have a website, and can't think of any other that I want to go to right as soon as it boots up. Makes me wonder if running the programs I have that aren't ported for Linux are worth it.

LINUX LIVES!

micro$oft sucks rocks.

Reply to
Lennie the Lurker

I've been using (free) Suse Linux with Firefox for a week now. M.K.

Reply to
markzoom

There you are! 'Use blank' sets your home page to MSN by default. Input anything else. You have a weather page or a news page you check regularily? Not Microsoft's fault.

Ken.

Reply to
Ken Davey

Appleworks! I still have that for the Apple IIC, think it's one of the most useful programs that was ever put into code. Not a lot of useless bells and whistles, just stuff you could put to good use.

Just downloaded and installed Firefox and Thunderbird, very similar to the old Netscape in feel, which is what I started with. All I've got to do now is blow IE and OE out of the desktop, they won't be used again. Been using Agent for the newsreader mostly, like the killfiles. (Wish Google had one, but they don't)

Reply to
Lennie the Lurker

Ah, but WHY isn't there a huge hole at the North Pole????? This is where all the oxone depleting chemicals are being used, not the Southern Hemisphere!

Bob May

I believe it's because the south pole gets colder, but I'm not up on the latest science. A thorough web search should yield some interesting answers, though.

Reply to
Tim Wescott

It's my understanding that "Use blank" is supposed to set a blank page, NOT regurgitate more crap from MS. Which, most of the time is what it does, but it seems that on what is getting to be more regular intervals, it puts the MS BS as the home page. As I am now using FireFox, I don't anticipate a repeat, and if it does, Linux time. Got SuSe 9.0 PRO sitting here waiting to be installed. Just wish some of the more backward software houses would port for Linux or let someone else do it, but they seem to be married to MS crap. It _is_ rather refreshing to see 95% of a 2 gig memory being used and not have to worry about it hanging or crashing before it's done. (3D render) Windoze has never completed the renders.

Reply to
Lennie the Lurker

Format drive. Install OS/2 or Linux. Download free software. Buy a few good apps like PMView, Mozilla, Papyrus, DFSee, ...

Hapiness is a M$ free zone.

Ted

Reply to
Ted Edwards

The OS/2 system editor is more than adequate for the vast majority of what I write. If I want more juice, there's Papyrus - a really nice lean mean version of what Word would like to be if it ever grows up.

I never was an Apple guy but I used to use PCWrite (shareware) under DOS. I still have PCWrite 4.1 which runs just fine in a DOS box under OS/2.

I'm using Mozilla which, if I understand correctly, is basically Firefox and Thunderbird combined. If that ain't so, I'd like to hear about the differences.

Might be worth looking into what you would be missing if you dumped 'doze completely. I have a couple of apps for which I still need W98 but I unplug the net before booting it. I expect I'll get rid of those in the near future.

Ted

Reply to
Ted Edwards

Reply to
David Billington

MT-NewsWatcher (Mac only far as I know...) also has a nice flexible easy to use filter 'suite'.

Erik

Reply to
Erik

On Mon, 15 Nov 2004 10:14:48 -0800, "Bob May" calmly ranted:

Yeah, especially since heat rises, how can there be any ice there at all? Ozone must be heavier, huh?

Reply to
Larry Jaques

There's a similar thing for OS/2 called Odin. There might also be a version of Wine. I've seen both discussed. Some 32bit 'doze stuff runs and some doesn't. 16bit 'doze stuf runs fine under what is called win-OS/2. That is actually 'doze 3.1.

Ted

Reply to
Ted Edwards