eBay query?

It's a while since I used eBay so can anyone tell me what happened to the "send payment reminder" button? It's probably just an oversight on the part
of the buyer so I don't want to report him as being a non-payer, I just want to send him a friendly reminder. TIA
(kim)
"kim" wrote

That reminds me I've got to do that with a buyer too. Go to the listing page and click on 'contact the buyer' and tell him the heavies are on their way! ;-)
John.
John Turner said the following on 19/01/2006 00:27:

...or you can send another invoice. eBay do keep changing things around, and it is annoying!
--
Paul Boyd
http://www.paul-boyd.co.uk /

My buyer has 'overstretched' himself and can't pay at the moment. At least he's had the decency to tell me and as a result he'll be given some leeway - beats leaving 'negative feedback' for sure.
John.
On 19/01/2006 17:32, John Turner said,

As you say, at least he appears to have admitted the problem. It's the ones that give you one excuse after another that bug me (got a seller like that at the moment). So long as people are honest, I'm also happy to give leeway, in fact I often seem to bend over backwards for my "customers", and my feedback reflects that.
If you get negative feedback, wear your badge with pride! Never had any myself yet though...
Right now, I am selling an item, loosely model related, that has reached an embarrassingly high price with 3 days to go. I'm not sure whether to be pleased, or worried about what they think they are bidding on!
--
Paul Boyd
http://www.paul-boyd.co.uk /

My son runs an on-line business using eBay for a lot of his turnover. He reports this excuse has replaced "the cheque is in the mail" as the No.1.
It might occasionaly be true but it is more often people who have seen a better deal and want out of the first one.
Garry wrote:

I've had that a couple of times, though it's usually they've "over-stretched" their PayPal account, because they've not gone through the verification process. This limits their transaction volume to a specific amount, and PayPal does not warn them or make this explicitly clear.

That is exactly what appears to have happened in this case but previous sellers failed to report it that way in their feedback. It is entirely possible we are both the victim of the same "serial late payer"?
(kim)

Okay I did that and he still didn't responded after seven days. Have now taken the unprecendented (for me) step of reporting this as an unpaid item. Have also gone into more detail about the buyer's payment record. It seems he is an average of three weeks late in paying for items yet still receives feedback comments such as "superfast payer - excellent eBayer".
So exactly how late does a buyer have to be before someone reports him as being a slow payer? Why would somebody report a transaction as being settled "promptly" when eBay's own records show clearly that it was not?
(kim)
"kim" wrote

As far as I'm concerned someone is a Superfast payer if he pays on the day that the auction finishes or tells me that his remittance is in the post and it arrives within 48 hours. Quick payment is within the three days which I ask for payment but thereafter the comments I leave are dependent upon circumstances. I once left a reluctant 'positive feedback' with a 'slow payer' comment - it took the buyer over a fortnight to pay, but as yet I've not had to file a 'non-payment report' nor leave anything other that 'positive feedback'.
John.

I sense you are frustrated with this. You don't believe what you read on the feedback, do you? Any negativity in feedback is a weapon of last resort. Everything I buy gets feedback of "excellent" even if I open the package and throw the contents straight in the bin. You think I'm gonna tell the world that I was had over?
Nowadays I prefer to get round the seller's house, look at the goods, make an offer, and pay in cash before the auction ends. Cash on the hip always talks loudest. I find that is the best way to avoid eBay problems.
As for non-paying buyers, surely the best thing is to make a decision, do what you've got to do, and relist.
Anyway, how does one "report" a slow payer? As for the payment record, how can eBay "know" when someone has paid, for instance by cheque? Only when someone gets around to clicking the "paid" button. Perhaps I should report sellers for being a bit slow to click the paid button, seeing that I paid before the auction ended. Oh, I forgot, the auction was ended early when the goods became mysteriously "unavailable".
Hope this helps,
Cheers, Steve

There's a big difference between omitting to state that payment was three weeks late and telling everyone it was recieved immediately.

In this case I was offering the item before anyone else adn thus reasonably expected to attract a premium over the same item offered later. Relisting the item would defeat the whole purpose of the exercise.

By leaving feedback. If not reporting payment as being abnormally slow then at least by not claiming it was unusually fast.

It doesn't take three weeks for a cheque to clear unless it was drawn on a foreign bank which i specifically exclude from my auctions.

In this case it was unlikely the purchaser even clicked the "paid" button or attempted to complete checkout in any way.

Not really :o)
(kim)

How do I solve the opposite problem? I won an auction about 2 weeks ago but in spite of two requests the seller has not yet sent me an invoice.
--

Regards

John

John Nuttall wrote:

If they accept PayPal then you can pay them anyway but it sounds like you risk losing your money.
Complain to eBay.
Leave negative feedback
MBQ

Thanks for the tips.
The problem is I don't know how much to pay, as I need the total including overseas shipping. Is there an eBay link to complain about this? I don't want to leave negative feedback unless I have exhausted all the possibilities - I would much rather receive the goods!
--

Regards

John

John Nuttall said the following on 20/01/2006 12:08:

Normal convention is to ask your seller how much shipping will be before bidding, or if they will even ship overseas if it isn't mentioned in the auction. If you don't get an answer at that stage, then things don't look good, so don't bid. Whatever it is you were bidding on, there will always be another one along later!
I suppose the other thing I should ask is how you asked for the invoice? Did you send an email/message, or use the correct "Request Total" option?
--
Paul Boyd
http://www.paul-boyd.co.uk /

Paul, I used the Request Total link and also sent an email via Contact Seller. I didn't query the price during the auction as worldwide shipping was clearly offered on the item description page. Perhaps I should do this in future.
When I confirm my bid as a buyer, I have to acknowledge that I am entering into a binding contract if I win the auction. Does the seller make the same commitment (I've never sold anything on eBay yet)? If eventually I decide to give up, how do I inform eBay of what has happened and what action are they likely to take?
Of course, there may be a sound reason such as the poor chap being in hospital or something, so I don't want to get confrontational - yet.
Thanks for the tips anyway.
--

Regards

John

"John Nuttall" wrote

I'm not sure on the latter point but there is a facility to withdraw an item - something which does seem to happen with some sellers on occasions.
In several instances when I've had items for sale on eBay I've been asked by potential buyers if I will withdraw the item or include a 'Buy It Now' option. If my item is without bids then I will consider this (never have done so as it happens) but I refuse point blank if the item has attracted any bids.
John.

Progress is being made - my third request for an invoice has brought forth an apologetic response, so I have now paid and hopefully the goods will arrive in sunny Sydney within a week or so.
--

Regards

John

On 21/01/2006 09:30, John Turner said,

I have done this very occasionally - the last time I was selling a camera body, and was made an acceptable offer. I added a BIN button, and received payment within a minute, and all was done. Then I got an irate email from a watcher criticising the price I sold it for, and that the buyer was a dealer, and was the BIN always there? I thought my reply was quite restrained ;-)
If you have attracted bids, then you can't add a BIN even if you wanted to, I don't think.
--
Paul Boyd
http://www.paul-boyd.co.uk /