Boxford Spares?

Hi All

I am now the proud owner of a Boxford AUD now in the process of a complete strip down clean and repaint. Now for the bad bits I need a fresh back gear sleeve minus large gear and also the small gear that goes on the main spindle pulley. Any recomendations for a resonable price spares supplier or anbody got anything lurking in a corner ?

Cheers Chris

Reply to
Chris

John Ward is reasonably priced though not the quickest supplier in the world. Try his website at : .

You can ask him if he's finished my vertical slide yet if you like ...

Hth,

Reply to
Boo

Chris Hi

I'm not sure if you are looking for new or not but with Boxfords having been popular for 50 years or so and all being very similar in construction, many tool dealers will have broken some of them for spares. All of the better known dealers are worth a call to see if they have something available currently although you might have to buy an assembly rather than just the one part. You need to watch their pricing though as it seems it can vary from a few pounds to a mortgage. Try GandMtools, Home and Workshop, Trade Sales Direct (on holiday this week) and RDG Tools they all seem to advertise Boxford spares. I haven't dealt with any of them so can't provide a recommendation I'm afraid. Obviously E-Bay is another source if you are feeling brave.

When I was looking for Boxford spares a few years ago I was surprised at the availability of almost unused spares; at the time the lathes were far less popular and many good machines were broken as they were worth more as parts. Sorry to say that time moves on (quickly) and so that might not be the case now. I can't help with new I'm afraid but many small jobbing engineers are worth a call if the parts are not to complex. As Boo says though, delivery times on one off jobs can be a bit slow.

Good luck and at least when you have fixed it you will have an excellent machine to use.

Best regards

Keith

Reply to
jontom_1uk

Hi Boo

He certainley seems cheaper than the other source I've found GMTOOLS. How long have you waited for the vertical slide weeks months or worse ?

Cheers

.
Reply to
Chris

Hi Keith

To be honest secondhand if I can get the bits at a reasonable price. Certainley some of the dealers and Ebayers charge or expect to get more than the original makers sell new for.

Cheers

Reply to
Chris

Worse, but I always knew he didn't actually have it in stock (and he doesn't want the spondulics until he's ready to send it). When he's had things in stock it's been a matter of a few days, so best just give him a ring.

-- Boo

Reply to
Boo

You could try Boxford themselves - they can apparently still supply spare for AUD lathes according to their website. Not sure what they're like on price - some lathe manufacturers seem to charge through the nose for spares, others seem quite reasonable. Their website is

Hope this helps

Alastair

Reply to
Alastair

Hi Alistair

I rang Boxford once before about spares for a different lathe and was quoted £85 plus delivery plus VAT for a lefthand turning tool. So not to keen on ringing Boxford.

Cheers Chris

Reply to
Chris