Mortise lock hinge replacement needed - advise please

I have a mortise lock and recently the dead bolt part will slide out without
turning the cylinder lock. This will cause the bolt to be stucked on the
dummy side of the double door and the door won't open.
I took it apart and found the problem. There is a spring/hinge thingie that
is broken...here is a picture of where it should be:

If you look at the full size image I have drawn a red line where the hinge
used to be connected and now it is broken. I then took the hinge apart and
this is what it looks like:

Is there a replacement part for this? Is this a genetic part I can order?
I put everything back then took the entire mortise to a local locksmith and
described the problem to him and he said I need to replace the entire
mortise which will be a special order and $135.00. I said it is only a
hinge and he told me the mortise lock are made to be replaced in whole and
not in part and I should not even try to fix it if I take it apart I will
just "hurt" the internal mechanism. Really?
MC
Reply to
MiamiCuse
It's only a spring. Any competent locksmith should be able to get one or at the very least wind a new one from music wire. Find a Certified Locksmith that uses CRL, CPL or CML after his name. BBE.
MiamiCuse wrote: > > I have a mortise lock and recently the dead bolt part will slide out without > turning the cylinder lock. This will cause the bolt to be stucked on the > dummy side of the double door and the door won't open. > > I took it apart and found the problem. There is a spring/hinge thingie that > is broken...here is a picture of where it should be: > >
> If you look at the full size image I have drawn a red line where the hinge > used to be connected and now it is broken. I then took the hinge apart and > this is what it looks like: > >
> Is there a replacement part for this? Is this a genetic part I can order? > I put everything back then took the entire mortise to a local locksmith and > described the problem to him and he said I need to replace the entire > mortise which will be a special order and $135.00. I said it is only a > hinge and he told me the mortise lock are made to be replaced in whole and > not in part and I should not even try to fix it if I take it apart I will > just "hurt" the internal mechanism. Really? > > MC
Reply to
Billy B. Edwards Jr.
You can get a spring close enough to work from a locksmith or from a spring assortment available from well stocked hardware stores. You can also wind it yourself from spring steel wire, available from hardware stores, gunsmiths, locksmiths etc. Get a small piece of rod the same size as the '0' in your spring, a drill bit shank will work fine, and wind the wire around it then form the ends with needle nose pliers.
Reply to
Steve
I would say your "local locksmith" just didn't have the knowledge or the resources to repair it. try another locksmith. maybe an older shop that will probably have some parts and the knowledge. there was a longtime locksmith in my town (he passed a couple of years back) that use to make just about anything needed for the repair of older mortise locks. when I ran into something like you have and didn't have the parts, I just brought it to him for repair.
g'luck
Reply to
Key

Site Timeline