Installing welder in my garage

I have a new 225 Lincoln stick welder I got for Christmas. I will need
to add a 220 outlet and circuit from my sub panel.
I am assuming I need a 50 amp breaker. What size/type wire do I need?
Would it be best to use conduit? All I could find at Lowes are suface
plugs. WIll these be adequate and can I use them with conduit? ANy
help would be greatly appreciated!
Reply to
Loading thread data ...
Does your welder have a plug? You can tell by that what the circuit needs to be. If not look in the book. What wiring you use depends on the situation that you have. Is your electrical panel on the garage? If so you could nipple out the back and out the outlet on the wall.
Assuming 50 amps you will need 6 CU or 4 AL.
Surface plugs are fine, check the openings out so that you do not get into a tite if you run conduit. Some the surface plugs I have used are pretty tight if you come in the back or bottom. You might need to go to a real electric supplier to get the plug and cap you need. Welding shops here in Phoenix carry them.
Reply to
I have a 230a "buzz box" that ran fine for years on a 30a dryer outlet but thst isn't the "right" answer. First be sure the receptacle you found is the right one for your welder. It usually isn't going to be the regular "range" plug. You should track down the right device and a double (4") deep box. The receptacle wil fit on the screw holes for two regular outlets. That gives you plenty of wiring space. Follow the installation instructions for the welder and install the recomended breaker If you are using THHN/THWN conductors in a raceway (conduit) #8 will work for 40a or 50a. This should be protected from physical damage so conduit is the way to go. It can be PVC if you don't have the hickey to bend metal.
Reply to
You can use wire as small as #10 copper because the duty cycle of that welder is < 20%, but I'd use #6 or #8 and a 50A breaker. #10 could cause problems down-the-road if someone plugged in a 60% duty cycle welder. I think the plug you need is called a "NEMA 6-50R", and the receptacle that I bought has a built-in cable clamp that can be removed with a few screws and replaced with a 3/4" conduit and locknuts.
BTW, I though Licoln welders came prewired with a cord and plug, and a they included receptacle for you to wire up.
Reply to
You want real help, call a qualified electrician out to do the work for you! Getting answers to questions in this newsgroup will get you killed and have your house burn down. If you are going to ask for help the least you can do would be provide photos of your garage, your main panel, your sub panel inside and out. Check to see if your lugs are tight to begin with. Are your going to run surface mount conduit for through the walls. If in the wall we will need a photo of the inside of your wall too. As you can clearly read, you are going to need real help!
Reply to
Standard practice is to use a 50 ampere 4 wire range plug and receptacle using a 50 ampere two pole 240 volt breaker and No. 8 copper SER or equivalent cable rated for 90 degrees C. but used at its 75 degree C. ampacity. The reason for this is that the range parts are relatively inexpensive. However, the manufacturer's listing instructions are the law and should be followed.
Reply to
Mr. Smith
Check with the local electrical code book. It should tell you if you can derate the feed due to the duty cycle. But if you derate the wire, you also use a breaker that will peotect the smaller wire or you will burn your house down.
Reply to
D. Silski

Site Timeline

PolyTech Forum website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.