Location For A Wired-In Surge Protector ?

Hello:
Will be putting in a "secondary" wired in surge protector (an Intermatic AG
2401 IND )
to try and protect a new furnace circuit board that is apparently
susceptible
to lightning induced transients. It fried during last lightning storm.
Eventually, I hope to replace the electrical service box, and, when I do, I
will install
a whole-house variety. But for now, will have to settle for the
point-of-use, wired in variety.
There is the typical on/off furnace switch located in a EMT tubing run,
about a foot or so from the furnace proper. This seems like a good place to
wire it in, and install it.
Have been thinking a bit about whether it makes more sense to wire it in on
the upstream side of the switch, or whether it should be placed on the
downstream side (the end closer to the furnace) ?
Seems to me that it probably doesn't matter at all, but thought I'd ask.
Any thoughts on ?
Thanks,
Bob
Reply to
Robert11
It might work better if you installed it at the service. Closer to the grounding an all. Distance is a factor when connecting surge protection devices to the power.
Reply to
SQLit
Hei bob,
Agreed with robert11but more practical if that wire is not reachable and hidding or shiealded with suitable protection materials such as PVC pipe at least 5 feet above ground.
tks
magic
Reply to
magic
Hello;
I just want to get some tips on the electrical faults. There are;
1. If live and neutral cables found shorted. 2. If live and earth cables found shorted. 3. If neutral and earth found shorted.
If this three faults above happen follow by number, what happen to the electrical protection system such as ELCB, MCB, MCCB/RCCB or else. Taken in real live system. Did the system explode?
Thanks
magic
Reply to
magic
Hello;
I just want to get some tips on the electrical faults. There are;
1. If live and neutral cables found shorted. 2. If live and earth cables found shorted. 3. If neutral and earth found shorted.
If this three faults above happen follow by number, what happen to the electrical protection system such as ELCB, MCB, MCCB/RCCB or else. Taken in real live system. Did the system explode?
Thanks
magic
Reply to
magic
Hello:
Thanks for help.
There was nothing apparent on the furnace circuit board when visually inspected; just that it became non-funtional after lightning strike.
Further testing on not possible, as was returned to HVAC company for replacement
Nothing else in house affected, surprisingly.
BTW: what's ELCB, MCB, MCCB/RCCB ?
Guess mccb is molded case circuit breakers, but what about the rest ?
Regards, Bob ----------------
Reply to
Robert11