Megger

Why call it a "Megger" when it is really an insulation tester? Megger is a brand name.

Reply to
Brian

It measures Meg ohms, it generates a high voltage, very small current measures up to 100M ohms or more.

Reply to
Megin

I guess its the same reason I keep my Klenex on the Frigidare.

In the US I most often hear them called hipot testers... another brand name

TimPerry

Or it might be called a megger because it produces about 1 million volts dc. If it produced a thousand volts, they'd have to call it a killer!

Reply to
Russell

Wasn't there also a company making insulation testrers called Meggar? Bit like vacuum cleaners being called Hoovers.

Reply to
Angof

As in, "Who has the AVO?" - just as the word AVO has become synonymous with multimeter, Megger has become so for a high voltage tester.

"Manufacturing insulation testers from 1kV to 10kV is where the company Megger started, and the Megger brand name is so well know today that maintenance professionals often incorrectly use it as a verb when they refer to doing an insulation test on wiring. This famous brand name dates back to 1889, when the first portable insulation tester was introduced with the MEGGER brand name on it. The firm enjoys an outstanding reputation in the areas of ground testing, oil testing and a wide variety of electrical contractor maintenance tools such as multimeters portable appliance testers and clamp-on meters."

It is, of course, part of AVO International.

My Megger was "handed down" to me by my great-uncle and dates from 1935. It still works perfectly and has a current type III calibration certificate...

Reply to
Palindr☻me

Last machine I used (Fluke) it went into GIG ohms. Not that any one really cares at that level.

Reply to
SQLit
[snip]

I'll second that! Ever come into contact with the leads, or the length of RF transmission line being tested, and you will call it at the least a major OWWWWIE. Teach me to be complacent when NOT dealing with a Hi-Pot!

Drew.

Reply to
d.f.s.

Formica is a brand name too!