Meter To Measure Current / Calculator Suggestions

I have been looking at a new meter to measure current. I wanted another method to measure instead of moving cables back and forth between voltage/amps.

I was thinking that as a hobby builder I would want to measure between

1uA-5A? I am not having alot of luck with finding a meter that will go that low. The ones that do go that low don't go anywhere near what I would want on the high side. What range do others use, I am just playing around now learning transistors, filters, active antenna's and such with the goal of building a shortwave transmitter in the future.

Also I want to get another calculator that I could program to perform functions. I have been checking out quite a few on Ebay and don't want to spend the HPXX-C model prices, any recommendations there?

Thanks for taking the time reading this!

Jim Douglas

Carrollton, TX USA 75006 Latitude 32.9616 Longitude 96.8916

Reply to
Jim Douglas

crossposts to elsewhere removed

A basic DVM multimeter should take care of the bulk of the hobbyist needs.

The one micro amp ranges are more for lab grade type measurements. you will find measurements in the milliamp range of much more practical use.

For AC waveforms a clip on type current probe is a handy addition to your oscilloscope.

Reply to
TimPerry

I had a little bitty Eico that did the job for a while ....

The BK Precision 377 (test bench Jr.) does 200=B5 - 200m it could help you too, under or about 100$.

But for the General Purpose stuff the open end Fluke T5-600 [100A ~.1000V~gnd.Cat III] is my choice. (did an installation & got it off a tech that claimed he had no use for it :-) yeah right., measures Volts/Ohms and Amps. I think it just scared him, (or he liked me) it is quite a piece of work., even better then IDEALS.

I've used TI (texas Instruments) calculators all my life but i believe HP has a calculator for every purpose under the sun ...

Reply to
Roy Q.T.

HarborFreight.Com has several test meters including DMM's on sale dirt cheap all the time.

I bought 4 of them for 2.99 last year and gave them to the guys in my family.

They looked great too, probe tips sharp as needles with protective rubber covers, better than some the schools give out.

Reply to
Roy Q.T.