MS EE

How much does a Master of Science in Electrical Engineering can enhance a professional career compared to a Bachelor and is it worth to get into debt to pursue the degree? I am not interested a priori to become a reasercher or to follow up with a PhD. Also, how much does the name of the school count (always referring only to accredited Master of Science programs)?

Thank you.

Reply to
Texas Longhorns

I know someone who worked side by side with me, same title same pay. He has an MS and I do not. I do not even have an BS. Fortune 100 company. I will depend on the situation that your in. I would say that some better paying job doors will open when you have a MS. As for the pay, can't say.

Reply to
SQLit

An MSEE will most likely make you appear over qualified for many jobs.

Reply to
jopl

It is hard to say. The consulting/research firm that I work for only hires people with masters degrees and up. We are a little unusual in that respect. I think an MSEE will lead to more opportunities, but I am not sure it will lead to a higher starting salary.

Charles Perry P.E.

Reply to
Charles Perry

Thank you for all of your answers. I appreciate it.

My last question is: I am graduating with a BS EE from UT-Austin and because I played four years of intercollegiate soccer my GPA is not enough high to get into the very top Engr schools. I did not even apply to the Master program at UT. I would really like to go to school for my Master in Florida (as I have family there) but I was denied by U of Florida. I was instead accepted by University of South Florida. I have all the intentions to commit 100% to my studies during my Master. Is it worth though for me to move from the number nine engr school in the nation (UT-Austin) to a less recognized but decent school such as USF?

Reply to
Texas Longhorns

Why don't you just get a job? Then you can decide whether the MSEE is worthwhile for your career goals. BTW, many large companies will pay for your school if it will benefit them.

Reply to
no_one

Because I am afraid I won't be able to return to the living standards of college once I begin making money. Everybody seems to suggest it is better to go straight after your BS.

Reply to
Texas Longhorns

I would suggest doing it for a year or two, and stay on college living standards for that time frame. Then decide which direction to go. If you can get a job, do it for the experience to make the MSEE study mean something more. If you can't get a job, I guess that decides for you.

Reply to
phil-news-nospam