motor/generator

Can someone here direct me to a web site where I can find answers to the following questions?

I know two things about a DC motor--the input power and the rpm of a fan it drives. What I would like to find is whether mechanically spinning the fan at that rate will generate the same electrical power. Actually, I'd like to find the math to describe the output power as a function of rpm. I'm trying to help a neighbor's son with a science project, and my last study of this sort of thing was Physics 101 about

40 years ago.

Thanks in advance to anyone who wants to explain this or point me to some helpful web sites!

(The "Dr." in this address is a joke...long story.)

Reply to
Dr.Barmecide

----------------- You can run this as a generator quite successfully but the voltage and power will be a bit lower at any given current. However, the power that you get out is dependent on the ability of the mechanical source to maintain speed under load as well as the kind of field connection that exists in the motor. Too many variables to give a definite answer on the basis of the data presented but use of such a motor as a generator for your purposes is more than feasible. Please note that the current and power as a motor depend on the mechanical load. The current and power as a generator depend on the electrical load.

The equations of a DC motor are: V=RaI+E where E is the induced or generated voltage E=K(flux)w and w is the speed (radians/sec) Ra is the armature resistance T=K(flux)I =friction + some function of the mechanical characteristics of the fan Power in =VI Running this as a generator assuming flux constant: the generated voltage will be E as given above. At the same speed, the E will be ths same as before but this will be a bit less than the rated input voltageV. Under load at some current I the terminal voltage will be E-RI (less than as a motor) and you will have to put in a mechanical torque of friction +K(flux)I {simply change the sign of I to get the generator equations} The power output will be VI. Whether this is the same as, larger than or less than the rated power as a motor depends on the load resistance on the electrical side and the ability of the mechanical side to drive the machine at speed under load. the relationship between power and speed depends on the relationship between voltage and speed. For a given load resistance(Rl) Pout =VI =V^2/Rload =[(K(flux)w-VRa/Rl)^2 }/Rl so the power speed relationship for Ra small will be approximately P=(Bougerre factor)w^2 Bougerre factor - relates to Murphy de Bougerre (1902-1875) - a variable constant applied to get the desired results.

Reply to
Don Kelly