My *Soundcard* MIDI Synth Fantasy

Hi:

Since Creative Music Synth is a device based significantly on electrical engineering, my topic is totally relevant to this NG.

Creative Music Synth -- my favorite *soundcard*-based MIDI synth-- is the chip-based, hardware, digital FM synth present on the SoundBlaster

16 ISA card. Creative Music Synth usually has and I/O address of 220

-- hence, Creative Music Synth [220]. However, I have seen Creative Music Synth set at 240 on some PCs. Creative Music Synth does not -- to any extent -- playback samples from memory. It freshly generates its tones. It is physically built to generates its tones from scratch without stealing any energy from the PC's main CPU. As such, Creative Music Synth does not have or need any moving parts -- no discs, no fans, etc.

Notes on out-of-phase stereo signals in Creative Music Synth:

  1. I try playing Creative Music Synth, through my so called 'karaoke voice canceller' -- which inverts the phase of one stereo channel [right or left] and then combines it the other channel -- which results in anything identical in both the left and right channels being removed. I get a mono of what was different in the left and right channels. When I play the Creative Music Synth audio through the voice-canceller, it sounds more treble, sharper, brighter, warmer, and crisper [qualities that I like] than when I don't use the voice canceller. The waveforms with sawtooth-wave characteristics are phased differently in the L and R channels, while those with sine-wave characteristics are phased identically in the L and R channels.

  1. The voice-cancellor remove whats phased similarly in L and R while preserving what phased differently in the L and R channels. Sawtooth waves tend to give a much brighter and warmer feel than sine waves do. If anyone has a valid email address, I can email him/her two WMA audio files from the MIDI audio of Creative Music Synth. File A is converted to mono without inverting the phase of either channel. File B is converted to mono after inverting the phase of the left channel. IOW, file A is not "voice-cancelled", while file B is. After listening to them, you certainly will notice the difference I describe.

  2. The signals that are phased similarly in L and R are removed, while signals phased differently are not removed. I am sure -- though I could be wrong -- that Creative Labs deliberately made these phase differences in the stereo Creative-Music-Synth. The sounds that are phased similarly in L and R sound like sine-waves [such as a "whine" or "moan"] while the tones that are phased differently in L and R sound like sawtooth waves [such as a "buzz" or "fiz"]. AFAIK, thats just how the company designed the synth.

Due to the above, my MIDI synth dream would be a mono, 64-bit- resolution, 2.88-Ghz-sample-rate, 40,000-voice, 4,000-operators-per- voice, 10,000-channeled**, version of Creative Music Synth based on the signals that were phased differently in the original Creative Music Synth. Creative Music Synth is a stereo FM synth who left and right signals are phased differently, this is why I get a different sound when I play it through voice-canceller. The signals of Creative Music Synth that have the same phase for both L and R have a more cheesy sine-wave quality which I don't care for. The signals in Creative Music Synth that are phased differently in L and R tend to resemble a fresher sawtooth-wave quality which I like. That is why I want my version of Creative Music Synth to be based on the sounds that were phased differently in the original Creative Music Synth. I want my version to be monoaural because I want all speakers to give out the same signal.

**Yamaha's OPL3 has 18 channels

Regards,

Radium

P.S. If anyone think my message is OT, please explain why

Reply to
Radium