Driving castagnettes using midi

Dear All,

I am new to midi as well as to this group so forgive me in case of "stupid" questions...

I am looking for software/hardware to control 16 solenoids using midi. In fact I am building an instrument consisting of 16 automated castagnettes.

My goal is to find a solution as simple as possible to drive the castagnettes.

My basic idea is:

1) Use a MP3 player to store different (rhytmic) midi files 2) Use a simple 16 channel interface/electronics (connected to the MP3 player) to drive 16 solenoids.

Does anyone of you know a simple approach to do this?

Best regards, Eibert draisma.

Reply to
Eibert Draisma
1) How are you going to store MIDIs on an MP3 player, and have them play back? MIDI is not a waveform (but you knew that didn't you...)

2) Have a look here:

- this is a MIDI controlled Xylophone, and will give you an idea.

D.

Reply to
Virginner

This is actually a MIDI-controlled glockenspiel, mis-named "xylophone" though the bars are not made of Xylos (wood). But the idea is the same.

Reply to
Matthew Fields

An MP3 player might function as your disk drive, but probably won't take the place of a notebook computer. Here's a link to get you started on some folks who have taken this to its natural extreme:

Matthew Fields

Hi Matthew and Virginner,

Hmm, right; midi is not a wave form! Sorry! I already contacted Dr.Godfried-Willem RAES, LOGOS FOUNDATION, Center for Experimental Music Production; he's a real expert concerning midi controlled instruments. Take a look at his site:

However, I am looking for a really simple approach. This is my first experience with midi, therefor I am trying to keep things simple.

****************

I also thought about using DTMF tones to do the job: My goal is to find a solution as simple as possible to drive the castagnettes.

1) Use a MP3 player to store a "song" consisting out of differtent DTMF tones 2) Use a simple DTMF receiver connected to the MP3 player to detect the DTMF tones (e.g. MT8870D / MT8870D-1 Integrated DTMF receiver) 3) Use simple electronics connected to the DTMF receiver to drive 16 solenoids. (Solenoids: 12VDC)

Note:

- I would to drive one solenoid at a time; I can imagine driving more solenoids (each related to a specific DTMF tone) simultaneously would result in problems concerning the decoding?

- The solenoids should only be "on" when their DTMF tone pairs are hot; I simply would record a "DTMF-tones song" and store it on a MP3 player.

****************** I would be very pleased to hear your comments! Eibert Draisma.

"Matthew Fields" schreef in bericht news:XO6Fe.559$ snipped-for-privacy@news.itd.umich.edu...

-

Reply to
Eibert Draisma

on

there is alot of info in the projects section on midi control and stuff with AVR microcontrollers. If your infamiliar with the inner and electrical workings of microcontrollers, you should start with soemthing like one of brians maveric boards
He's got everything set and ready for you to go and you dont ahve to worry about making sure the micro works. Then AVRfreaks is possibly the most comprehensive avr site in existance, and there is plenty of code available as well as interfacing circuitry. between the two, it shoudl get you on the way to one hell of a setup! Tha'tsd what I would suggest anyways.

--Andy P

Eibert Draisma wrote:

Reply to
Andy P

| | This is actually a MIDI-controlled glockenspiel, mis-named "xylophone" though | the bars are not made of Xylos (wood). But the idea is the same. |

(yeah, I know.... ;-)))

D :)

Reply to
Virginner

cut out some parts, add a serial eeprom, clock it to play the midi back.

Reply to
jim dorey

You might check out the Logos Foundation in Gent. They have a whole set of Midi-driven percussion.

Dennis

Reply to
Dennis Bathory-Kitsz