Using DTMF to drive solenoids

Dear All,
I am new to DTMF as well as to this group so forgive me in case of "stupid" questions...
I am looking for hardware to control 16 solenoids using DTMF tones.
In fact I am building an instrument consisting of 16 automated castagnettes.
My goal is to find a solution as simple as possible to drive the castagnettes.
My basic idea is: 1) Use a MP3 player to store a "song" consisting out of differtent DTMF tones 2) Use a simple DTMF receiver connected to the MP3 player to detect the DTMF tones (e.g. MT8870D / MT8870D-1 Integrated DTMF receiver) 3) Use simple electronics connected to the DTMF receiver to drive 16 solenoids. (Solenoids: 12VAC or 12VDC)
Does anyone of you know a simple approach to do this? I know just enough about electronics to build a simple schematic.
I really hope anyone of you can give me some help!
Best regards, Eibert Draisma.
    --Sill me; what is DTMF?     --I'm using solenoids as well, via Stamp, but to control a (fairly primitive) tap-dancing robot.
--
"Steamboat Ed" Haas : Just another fart in
Hacking the Trailing Edge! : the Elevator of Life...

Dual Tone Multi-Frequency. Otherwise known as Touch-Tone.

Hi John,
*** This is an email I sent you because I guessed it's not possible to post pictures to this newsgroup. Did you receive it? ***
Thanks for your help so far!
Actually I am not going to drive castagnets; I am going to drive "crab-arms"! Together with my girlfriend I am building a synthetic "plant" equipped with 16 crab-arms. The plant should be able to give a concert every once in a while. The attached picture shows a small test-model we built; we emptied the crab-arm and equipped it with a solenoid from a pinball machine. (This "prototype" is push-button operated but it works really well.)
My knowledge of electronics is quite basic but I can understand your schematic fairly good. I will try to find suitable solenoids.
Do you have any other useful remarks before we build the schematic? Of course we'll keep you posted concerning the result!
Thanks again, Eibert Draisma.