using global variables to drive a pattern?

Hello,

I am using SW2007.

I am trying to model a part that has several circular patterns that have the same number of instances. I would like to be able to change all of the patterns at once, by changing a single global variable. The help on the matter looks like it should work, but it doesn't. The help says that equations may be used to drive pattern parameters. When I try to enter my global variable, the dialog box insists I enter a number between 2 and 1000 instead.

I cannot just put all the entities into a single pattern, as some of them are dependent on earlier geometry. I would just like to be able to change the number of instances more easily. Or if you could tell one pattern to look at the parameters of some original pattern? This doesn't quite seem to follow a design table tho.

Thank you for your help.

Reply to
ssingh

Why not link the counts? After making the patterns double click on one, then double click on the count in the graphics and create a link. Then do the same with the other patterns.

TOP

Reply to
TOP

Look in the help for "linked values". This is probably what you want to use to tie all the instance counts together.

When editing a dimension value with the dimension modify dialog box, you can only type numbers or expressions which evaluate to a number (or number with units). To add an equation or link a value, double click the dimension to get the dimension modify dialog box. Click on the down arrow to the right of the dimension value to get a drop-down list of options for adding an equation or a linked value.

Adding global variables is done via the equation editor, which is not accessible via the dimensions. Look for the Sigma on the tools toolbar or go to tools, equations to get the equation editor.

Don't expect the process of adding and editing equations is SW to be smooth. It is one of the weakest ares of the software.

Reply to
Dale Dunn

woohoo!! linking worked! WHY don't they point stuff like this out in the help manual?? WHY? I never would have looked under that pull- down thingy for an option for linking... thank you both for your help!

Reply to
ssingh