Molded Thread on a Plastic Bottle

If someone here would send me a Solidworks file for a molded thread on a plastic bottle, I would appreciate it. I would like to roll the file back to see the technique of offsetting the radius at both ends of the thread, and have the end blend to nothing, into the bottle neck. I am guessing that a plane has to be made paralell to the pitch and offset a circle to sweep? Any bottle, any size thread is ok. I just want to see any basic concept that works. Thanks for your help in advance.

G. De Angelis Valhalla Grafix LTD

G. De Angelis

You are right on the blended thread end. I end mine with a radius that matches the cutter diameter set at the pitch angle. Generally on a water bottle type neck:

  1. I start the thread helix near the open end of the neck specified by a Plane1 parallel to the end of the bottle opening.
  2. The sketch for the thread profile is put on a Plane2 which is intersecting Plane1 and the longitudinal plane of the bottle. That way the helix and the thread profile start on exactly the same spot in
3D space and the sweep will work every time.
  1. The sketch for the blend can be done by creating a plane on the flat start of the thread.

Bo

Reply to
Bo

I will say something about "Absolute Truth & the Designers Way".

Step 3 is a construction as someone would do using a small diameter milling cutter or grinding wheel. The blended end done that way will not actually be an end done as a helix.

If you wanted an end where the cutter was withdrawn toward the centerline of the thread, you would have to create another tapered helix, and I've not done that.

In practice many of these external threads are cut in with EDM into the tool steel cavities, and I suspect that the toolmaker may blend the end of the electrode in to the specification written in on the print. In some cases, given electrode wear, I am guessing the toolmaker may have the end formed by the worn down electrode, but that is a pure guess.

I have drawn many of these thread ends for various reasons involving caps, but I've not used a toolmaker to make a bottle mold.

Bo

Reply to
Bo

Here's an example..