Square Spring Tutorial

Awhile back there was a tutorial for a Square Spring floating around. If anyone here has it, or can lead me to it I would appreciate it. If
anyone has the Solidworks file itself, that would be just as good. Thank you,
G. De Angelis Valhalla Grafix LTD
www.valhallagrafix.com
If by square spring you mean like a die spring, there are quite a few on 3DCC. One I just looked at gives you a configurator so you can design it right there.
WT

Yes, I meant a die-spring, but what I should have said was a square helicoil, I did not mean a die-spring made from square wire. Sorry about the bad phrasing. What is odd is that I saw it not very long ago, and yet a Google doesn't turn up the one I am thinking of. Murphy strikes again..
G. De Angelis Valhalla Grafix LTD
www.valhallagrafix.com

I can't point you to the example, but I think I remember the technique. Extrude a surface from the rounded square that is the "path" in 2D of your wire. Generate a helical surface that is larger than the square. Make an intersection curve on the two surfaces. Put your wire profile on a plane perpendicular to the end of the curve. Sweep your wire profile along the curve.

Thank you very much.
G. De Angelis Valhalla Grafix LTD www.valhallagrafix.com

What are the reasons that make you choose such a spring? (Never seen a "square" spring) It seems to me that the "round" helicoil spring uses the metal muuuch more efficientely.
Jean Marc wrote:

Maybe what he really is trying model is a heli-coil insert. They have a square cross section that is rotated to look sort of like a diamond shape, as a rough example,<>.

I have actually found exactly the tutorial that I was looking for, if anyone wants it, it is here: http://www.swcommunity.com/connectqna_submitanswer.php?cpfeatureid=7318
"What are the reasons that make you choose such a spring"
The choice was not mine, but rather that of the client, and part of the design intent of a very interesting and innovative toy mechanism. Actually, there are several odd-ball looking springs, mostly esthetic, I think.In production, they will be made from wildly colored plastic. There is an oval, round, rectangular, hexagonal and triangular spring involved, in a new Child's Toy that is in the developmental stage, at this point, I will use the principles of the above mentioned tutorial to model all of the springs. Sincere thanks to all who responded.
G. De Angelis Valhalla Grafix LTD www.valhallagrafix.com
No wonder I couldn't figure out what you were asking for - I had never seen that tutorial, and wasn't thinking "square" in that fashion. Thanks for sharing.
WT
I have actually found exactly the tutorial that I was looking for, if anyone wants it, it is here: http://www.swcommunity.com/connectqna_submitanswer.php?cpfeatureids18
Quite a few more steps than I remembered!