Moving an imported pre made sketch around the drawing area.

In an attempt to re-use a previously made sketch and after importing this sketch by way of cut and paste, what is the procedure to move the sketch around and place it exactly where I want it in on the plane, if I want to extrude it, for example, or if I import it and want to position it exactly where I want it on a part allready extruded, to extrude cut it? RMB does not offer any options as a new sketch would.

Thank you for your response, G. De Angelis

Valhalla Grafix LTD (401) 749-1209

G. De Angelis

Have you tried turning the sketch entities into a block? You can also highlight the whole sketch, then hold the CTRL key will LMC an end point on the sketch. This will allow you move the sketch in unison, but sometimes only works properly the first time and no time after that. What else have you tried?

Matt Lorono

fcsuper

I will sometimes use a derived sketch for this. I'll past the sketch on one of the main planes, then I select it and the plan I want to put the sketch on, then go to the insert pulldown where you'll find "Insert Derived Sketch". This forces an exact copy of the original sketch to be placed on the new plane. Because it doesn't allow you to make any changes to the derived sketch it moves the sketch around as a single entity. Once I'm done placing it with relations I usually fix all the entities, then exit the sketch, underive it from the right- click menu, and finally delete the original.

I usually only do this for large sketches. I've used the Ctrl key trick that fcsuper mentioned: select entities, hold Ctrl, start to drag, then while still holding the left mouse button release the Ctrl key to change the "copy" to a "move". The problem I sometimes run into with this is if the sketch has some short line segments I've had it shift some of the end points around.

I like the idea of trying to make it a block before you move it around. I might try that first next time instead of the derived sketch method.

Rory

Reply to
Rory

Actually there is one easier way if this is on a drawing. Simply create an empty drawing view and copy the sketch into that. You can then move the view around and the sketch moves with it.

Matt Lorono

fcsuper

Actually I have tried converting the sketch to a block with Tools>Block>Make, with no results. I get this message: "The item on the clipboard cannot be pasted here". It is evident that I do not have enough knowlege of using blocks at the level that I am at.

I did try the CTRL key method, and it seems to work OK, for which I thank you. Thank all of you Gentlemen for your response.

G. De Angelis Vallhala Grafix LTD

G. De Angelis