Mis-Match in Perpendicular Assembly of Shafting

Whenever I attempt to assemble one shaft perpendicular to another, I get a terrible mis-match at the contact surface, of course. Attempting to match a flat with a radius will do this by design. Here is an example of what I am talking about.

I have tried to blend the resulting space caused by the assembly using fillets, and have fooled with the parameters in hopes of getting a variable fillet to fill in the crevice, with negative results. I believe I could cut the radius of shaft 2, at the end of shaft 1, and depress a matching curved surface using "wrap" in shaft 2, that would accomodate shaft 1, however this would only work given that both shafts are cylindrical in shape. Where one is cylindrical, and the other has multiple radii, ( as in a sphere, for example) this creates a different situation alltogether, and if anyone here has a fix for this, I would appreciate it being revealed here. Thank you, G. De Angelis

Valhalla Grafix LTD (401) 749-1209

G. De Angelis

Do the three parts of your rattle have to remain separate? It seems like the easiest way would be to use a multi-body part to make the three pieces, join them, and then fillet them. At that point you could possibly generate surfaces to use to cut them apart again in a relatively good way.

I nice way to do fillets on that type of shape would be to put some split lines on the parts, delete faces, use a fill surface to generate the fillet area, and then knit it back together again. Actually, a boundary surface might work even better, but I haven't actually used one yet.

Jerry Steiger