How to model a rule/scale

We have a number of rules/scales which have a number of lines "etched" on them, plus some text. Crudely represented, it looks like this:-

_ _1 | |_ | |_ _2 | |_ | |_ _3

Does anyone have a slick method for modelling this, in a way that can also be used to produce a drawing of it? The text isn't a problem, but I don't know how to easily produce all the lines (about 30 in total).

TIA, John H

Reply to
John H

Draw the first set and then use a sketch pattern to reproduce them.

Reply to
Lee Bazalgette - factorydesign

I have a model of a 6 inch ruler that I made some time ago. Roll back the design tree and you will see that it is not very difficult a model to make. I have put the SWX file on my website for you, you can D/L it at this link...

Good luck,

G. De Angelis De Angelis Tool Valhalla Grafix

John H wrote:

Reply to
G. De Angelis

Thanks for the replies.

What I'd been hoping for was a method by which you could draw all the markings as single lines/arcs in one sketch (i.e. not as rectangles in multiple sketches/features) and somehow "thicken" them up to make the "etching".

Guess I must be on a flight of fancy....

John H

Reply to
John H

Solidworks interprets a single line as an "open profile", or open contour. In the thin feature mode, it will allow you to extrude cut one line at a time. This is a rule that I had forgotten about completely. There is a trick whereby you can draw two lines at a time and connect them at the bottom, beyond the lower edge of your ruler, then you will be allowed to extrude cut two lines, however there isn't much to gain here. Bottom line is you need to draw the demarkations for one inch, if you are using 1/8" divisions, then you need to draw nine lines separately, to the different heights that you desire, then use the linear pattern tool to cut them in the uncut direction. The numerals are not a problem, just a straight extrude cut.