Any Video Tutorials covering different Surfacing basics?

Does anyone in this Forum know of any Surfacing tutorials available, that maybe whose model making encompasses some of the basic individual Surfacing procedures. Maybe a model where knit, loft, trim, sweep and a few different relations are needed in order to obtain closed geometry and complete the model. I think that there isn't much question that video is the most effective of all the learning tools. Especially, I feel, for the beginner. That is by far, the consensus in my School anyway. I have seen some ppt presentations on the Internet that seem to be of the highest quality, and yet it seems that they were intended for the intermediate user. I don't think the intermediate draftsman needs video tutorials anywhere near the novice. If anyone knows of any links on basic Surfacing, preferably video, your sharing them would be appreciated by quite a few of us. Erika

Reply to
Erika Layne

There will be a video tip on Solid Professor in the near future showing the creation of a simple surfaced part. Also, they have a set of paid video tutorials covering several surfacing topics.

I recently put up a PDF surfacing tutorial on my blog:

- search for the Watering Can tutorial.

I put a couple of really basic and short surface filleting video tips on CADJunky a while ago.

Reply to
matt

Erika,

This is a link to Mr John Layne's site. He has several tutorials that he offers for D/L, I know that at least one of them demonstrates the Surface Sweep that you ask about. These videos are simply outstanding, and would be a valuable asset to anyone's Tutorial Library, regardless of his/hers level of skill. Good luck,

G. De Angelis Valhalla Grafix LTD

G. De Angelis

Penny wise and dollar foolish IMO. I think VAR or other professional one on one training tailored to ones needs and the type work they do ends up costing much less in the long run.

If looking for reference materials, personal growth and learning new stuff on your own then yes videos, manuals, online tutorials is a great source and so are good notes.

Tom

Reply to
brewertr

What is a fixture offset if NOT a re-zeroed, custom coordinate system?

Reply to
Scott Ferrin

Not my experience but if you really feel that way and want to skip training can always negotiate prior to buying.

SolidWorks Corp.

Well Jon people should learn the basics first, it is always good to have an understanding of the basics. THEN move on to the more advanced user specific, work specific one on one training.

What level user and what training YOU need should be assessed and agreed to prior to buying the software and training.

Tom

Reply to
brewertr

You are adding to and changing the parameters of your original statement.

In this instance, when you apply and interview for a position they require you to be proficient in the software package they have or are willing to train. They should assess your abilities so they know how much training you need and determine the cost and best method based upon their evaluation and specific needs.

Not a good policy IMO but it is the owners shop.

Not in my experience.

How valuable is it when a company purchases a software package to get the software up and RUNNING and the company productive right away in the shortest amount of time?

Now compare that cost to the cost of CRAWLING for an extended period of time learning from videos, manuals and online tutorials as well as trial and error doing it on their own.

What are you basing your "more affordable" opinion on? What software packages have you purchased where you got VAR training?

Tom

Reply to
brewertr

Intentional misrepresentation by either party is justifiable grounds to end the relationship.

That's not what you originally posted.

Are you revising your original statement?

Where you posted;

snip

Tom wrote:

Are you talking about a free demo or are you referring to a particular software you purchased and received VAR training?

If so what software and training are you talking about?

Tom

Reply to
brewertr

It seems that I owe this entire Forum my humble apologies for opening up this seemingly endless can of worms and subjecting it to this needless display of off topic bantering by these two individuals with obvious extreme malice in their thoughts of each other.

Erika Layne

Reply to
Erika Layne

Erika,

Sorry you feel that way.

A discussion and a difference of opinion for sure but I don't view it as bantering or even that far off topic, thread drift yes but that should be expected when there are a lot of responses.

A lively discussion, some needling and sarcasm in our exchanges for sure but I have no malice towards Jon, actually I like Jon.

I just want to make it clear that the way you may have read my posts is not the way I meant for them to be read. And when I read Jon's responses to mine I don't see malice, intensity yes but not malice.

Tom

Reply to
brewertr

Your trolling your own statement Cliff, that's not what Jon wrote and posted and you know it.

Tom

Reply to
brewertr

Jon never said what you attribute to him, you made it up and your now trolling your own statement not something Jon actually wrote.

Already covered in alt.machines.cnc where it belongs.

Tom

Reply to
brewertr

Erika,

Don't feel bad. There is nothing any of us can do to stop cliff and jon from replying to our threads. You asked a perfectly good question and got some fine answers. Tough luck about the not-so-fine answers, but that's what happens here on the bad days.

Jerry Steiger